Matching vinyl siding?

I've got a fairly new house (built 2000) in Mass. that has vinyl siding. For some projects on the house, and to build a matching shed, I'd like to see if I can find identical siding. And of course it's not some "easy" color like white or gray.
So my question is, does anyone have any advice on how to match it up? Most siding I've seen (haven't checked this stuff yet) has numbers printed on the back - are they any help? Or will it have to be done visually?
Thanks!
Eric Law Wilmington, MA

Matching dye lots that are 5 years old will be impossible. Sun and pollution will have changed the shade of the original. My suggestion is take some siding down and get paint to match it. Then side the shed with "what ever" and paint to match. Best check on painting the siding first before you use my short pier.

I did exactly that. After they colormatched the siding (I took in a scrap), I painted on the back, and it was indistinguishable once the paint dried...
-Tim

I just had to remove some of our vinyl (about the same age as yours) and noticed a color stamped on the nailing flange, but didn't see a manufacturer (but I wasn't looking closely). I'd love to have a few extra strips for repairs, but wouldn't want to buy a whole box even if it was available locally...
-Tim

Call the builder and ask what brand was used. Most builders or sub contractors tend to use the same brand all the time. That will considerably narrow the search.
Yeah, I was thinking about doing that. But from what I've seen, most contractors around here change subs on an hourly basis, so I have a nasty feeling that the builder either won't know who did the particular job, or is out of touch with that person.
Eric Law