Man Steals Electricity With Meat Hook

Page 2 of 2

Really, whenever the guys from Ga Power would do a power disconnect they would pull the meter and put it back upside down and put a seal on it until you wanted it hooked back up.
Jimmie
On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 19:26:59 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE

<grin>
We went to a job in Texas. We got there on Thursday after hours and Friday was a holiday. We asked the neighbor (duplex) if we could use a drop cord for the weekend and they agreed. We went the long weekend taking cold showers. We had a lamp, a stereo, and a hot plate.
Monday we went to work and told my sister (her husband was one of the construction workers) to go and have the utilities turned on. When we got home the power was still off. She said that the power company closed a 6 but they would be out to turn the power on that day.
6PM and no one showed. We went outside to the meter and the power company had left the meter in the can, but it was turned sideways so it was not plugged into the buss. I told my brother in law (welder) that all that was needed was to just cut the paperclip sized wire and just turn the meter and plug it into the busses. After thinking about having to take another cold shower we decided that plugging in the meter and just telling the power company what we had done should be enough.
I cut the tab and plugged the meter in. We were standing there smoking a cigarette and I told him that plugging in the meter upside down would make the meter run backwards.......I showed him how that worked and we decided to just let it run like that for a few hours and would flip it around before bed time.
When we got back in the house and started flipping for who would get a hot shower first..........15 min after we had put the meter in, the power company came out and found the meter upside down and pulled it out and took it with them.
We had to go to the power company that day and explain what we had done. They believed us and brought the meter back.
Metspitzer wrote:

That's pretty good! I'd say you were very lucky to get power again as fast as you did.
Tony wrote:

Now that brings back memories! Gypsy (in the non-inflammatory sense of the word) construction crews camping in almost-finished apartments on the project site, 6 to a unit, in order to make the project deadlines for the later buildings and get the next draw from the bank on schedule. Illegal as hell, but quite common back in the day. Most of these crews were English-speaking, at least on the sites I was on. Sleeping bags, coolers, and paper plates. Most were very normal people unable to find work in their home cities, and trying to squeeze every penny to take home for the coming dry spell. A few bucks to the project strawboss was a lot cheaper than 'weekly rate' motels and eating out every meal.
--
aem sends....

When I did duty in S Korea this type of thing was very common.
Jimmie