Make the doorway higher.

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 18:25:18 -0500, "Steve Barker DLT"

For what door?

Ransley and Joe: I'm assuming that the header is load bearing, is it not? Nate: what do you mean by "overbuilding" Also, about the recommendation of holding up the joints with 4x4. Does putting 2 2x4's together sufficient?
Many thanks for all the responses.
Aaron

Ransley and Joe: I'm assuming that the header is load bearing, is it not? Nate: what do you mean by "overbuilding" Also, about the recommendation of holding up the joints with 4x4. Does putting 2 2x4's together sufficient?
Many thanks for all the responses.
Aaron
The 2x4 header over the door should be at least 2x6 on edge with a spacer. I agree that building all that temp support is over-kill for the short time you will have the jack studs and header out. The double header on the wall is more than enough to support things while you work, but if you are really worried, a couple 2x4 to support the two joists over the door will more than suffice.
If you are planning to make the door wider, It looks like you would only be able to go to the left side, so put in your new stud on that side before taking out the old one.
It looks like you pretty old construction here, full 2x4 studs. Try and save and reuse what you can of this old wood so you don't need to shim new wood to size.
Mark

Above the door I say its not, I would just raise it, you are not making it wider, the supports wont be bothered.
standard 80 inch door. duh.

On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 22:37:03 -0500, "Steve Barker DLT"

I'm not compelled to believe the OP is doing something standard here.
I'm guessing he wants a more majestic style door. Who knows his door size; now or then?!

That wall ain't going nowhere, and the header isn't supporting squat. -----
- gpsman

Squat is what it supports, a bit of lath and plaster.
ransley wrote:

above the door, without trashing the entire far-side wall surface. That keying loves to bust off the back of the plaster surface layer. Fine-tooth blade and a jigsaw, not a sawzall, is what I always had the best luck with. Don't rattle the wall.
-- aem sends...
On 10/19/2008 8:01 PM aemeijers spake thus:

Maybe this is a job for the incredible MultiMaster (As Seen on TV!). (See other thread here.)
On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 22:10:18 -0700, David Nebenzahl

Use 4 Inch Angle Grinder with a thin diamond blade. Draw the line and cut the plaster out. It's a clean cut with little damage. Not plaster, but I've cut plenty of stucco, wire, nail heads, etc. with this tool.
The blade is $35.00 vs what the multi blades cost.
Prepare for dust.

I agree...

??? From the picture, that is a load bearing wall and there are two joists supported by the door header which is undersized for its function.
Harry K
on 10/19/2008 5:46 PM Aaron Fude said the following:

Piece of cake. Here, I did it for you. I didn't use any bracing at all. I used a couple of PT wood for the header. :-) http://www.willshak.com/temp /
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY