oops, I did it again...

...that is, I started an "easy" project and it ended up being way more work than I anticipated.

Picked up a 1950's vintage (I'm guessing, from the style of the drawer pulls and the gauge of the metal) Steelcase filing cabinet off Craigslist for $10. I figured I'd rather "restore" an old one than pay big bucks for a new one that wouldn't fall apart after one move (like the one sitting under the stairs right now, eagerly awating my finishing of this "new" one so I can send it on its way to its final reward.)

Well, I picked it up and it turns out that it'd been painted twice before by previous owners, both times with a PAINTBRUSH. Oh well, I figured, I'd just sand it down with some 80 grit, finish with some 120 then 240 and spray it. No such luck! the old paint is completely resistant to my efforts, although I do not have a D/A or air compressor which might be appropriate. I got two drawers done by stripping them with your typical methylene chloride based paint stripper and then scraping, steel wool, wet sand, prime, paint. Ugh. I wasn't planning on doing this thorough a job on it, nor was I planning on using all my primer on the filing cabinet.

Anyone see an easier way, short of continuing on as I am, and/or buying an air compressor and a D/A? I'm guessing "no" but I figured I'd ask.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Joe

Sounds familiar. I started the day replacing a toilet fill valve, a simple 10 minute project. Things went fine until reassembly when I went to align the supply tube with the fill valve and the slight flexing pressure broke the corroded outlet port off of the supply valve. I figured no big deal since the supply valve didn't shutoff anyway and I had to use the main shutoff. Out to Depot for a new valve. I get back, grab my plumbing kit and start prepping to solder the new valve on. After cleaning and fluxing the cutoff stub from the wall and the new valve I go to assemble them for soldering, only to find they don't fit. Seems the pipe from the wall is oversized (type K?). Back out to Depot to see if I can find something suitable, which of course is hopeless. I ended up getting a 1/2" FIP valve and then taking a standard 1/2" sweat to 1/2" MIP fitting out to the shop and boring it out to fit the oversized pipe. I soldered the modified fitting on, cooled it, put a healthy amount of teflon tape on and assembled the valve. Amazingly enough when I turned on the water nothing leaked. 10 minute project turned 2 hour project *sigh*.

Reply to
Pete C.

Anyone see an easier way, short of continuing on as I am, and/or buying

You're on your way to having a really nice cabinet, nate. With a nice, sprayed on primer, wet sanding and a spray finish it will look like new.

Reply to
C & E