Made in the USA: MagLite

But it's *PURPLE* :(
--

dadiOH
____________________________

My dear ol' mom has a real 3 D-cell Maglite. It appears purple, though it may jes be off colored tarnish from blue. Regardless, it doesn't work, either. ;)
nb
On 9/29/2010 11:01 AM, dadiOH wrote:

MagLite sells a kit that contains a rubber hex shaped cover that slips over the head of the Minimag. It works quite well.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote the following:

The 2 Maglite minimags I bought came with the rubber hex cover and a woven belt loop holder.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 9/29/2010 3:14 PM, willshak wrote:

I bought the kit I had years ago and it contained the rubber cover, different color lenses and the pouch. I don't know if it's still an item that's sold now because I haven't paid attention to it. I own several Mini Mags that I started buying 25 years ago. I currently carry an LED 2 AA version on my belt at all times because I can't see that well anymore and the extra light really helps.
TDD
On 9/29/2010 10:50 AM, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Good for them.
Sometimes "made in the USA" means assembled in the USA with most parts from other parts of the world. Only one bulb here.
Years ago, I knew an engineer who quit Ford because his job assignment was to adapt a Japanese engine to a Ford car. He did not object to the foreign input but work was not innovative enough for him.
As for me, I buy what give me most value. Cars are Japanese but I like to know when assembled in the USA.

I'm happy that they're still made in the U.S. but I'd be happier if they weren't junk. Years ago I used them . I prefer the mini mag, 2 AA version. As an electrician I'm forever crawling around in some dark location, so I need a reliable flashlight, that I can carry easily. The last dozen or so I had only lasted a few months each. They don't die altogether, but become unreliable, flickering on and off, at which point I just pitch them. In Sept 2005 someone on this newsgroup recommended Streamlight flashlights to me, and I bought one, a 3 AA version that has both LED and incandescent bulbs in it. I literally have used this flashlight every day since, and it has never failed, in fact it hasn't even burned out the incandescent bulb yet. When maglight builds a comparable tool, I'd be happy to try them again.

I've had the same experiences with Mag products... and also have a Streamlight that I've been very pleased with.
However, more and more I find myself reaching for this 'no name' headlight I picked up at the local hardware store a couple of years ago. It was $12 if memory serves me right.
It's great, nice wide comfortable straps that are easily removable for washing (I put them one of those mesh 'lingerie Bag' and just toss them in the washing machine).
It's plastic, but nice, heavy and well engineered, nothing flimsy or delicate. It has a joint allowing vertical adjustment, and it's push button switch is located behind a heavy rubber membrane. It's been used in heavy rain and dumped in dirt, dropped, sat on and all that with no signs of anything intruding or damage.
It uses 2 AA batteries, eliminating that extra battery always left over by 3 cell lights. (I hate products that use odd numbers of batteries...) It has 12 LED's arranged to give a nice even flood, with no 'hot spots' or dim areas, and is bright enough for my 57 year old eyes to focus on fine detail. Battery life has been excellent... I think I'm on the third set now, and it's seen near daily use.
After I'd used it a while, I decided to grab all I could find and stock them away... but sadly the store said they were a one shot deal for them, and they had no idea where to get more... and said others had been inquiring as well. Been looking for more everywhere ever since, but so far no luck.
Mag would do well to produce such a product...
Erik
Harbor Freight has a black and yellow head light. Two AA cells. If you unscrew the lens, and rip otu the bulb. Take a small jewlers screw driver, and yank otu the reflector. Put in a Nite Ize mini mag conversion module. Now, for about ten bucks, you have a powerful head light.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

They look real cool, but wont survive a fall from a ladder onto concrete if they land on the bezel edge, I switched to flashlights with rubber padding. Was at Fry's this week, holy cow what a selection of flashlights! Two full aisles. I had my eye on the 100 LED bulb one. I agree that Maglite is made well and I like the US made aspect, but I've lost several with drops on concrete. One fell on the butt end and locked the end cap on for good by making it oval. But their large D cell models have multi use as a weapon if you dont feel safe in certain neighborhoods, no other flashlight than the Maglite D cell can say that, (thats why its a policemans favorite). It's like a concealed billy club.