Lp to Natural gas for BBQ

Was looking at Lowes this morning at bigger BBQ's. I thought I'd like to have one I could connect to the house Natural gas with a quick connect. Can you convert these BBQ's? They do have a commercial one that is Natural gas but about $100 more. But maybe if converting an LP to Natural would run about the same, maybe it wouldn't be worth doing it. The commercial was also bigger than I want. I'm just tired of dealing with the tanks. Thanks.
--
Paul O.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Most every brand makes a kit for conversion. Check out the web page of the one you are interested in. Go to some place other than Lowes for a good selection of quality grills instead of the mass market stuff. Propane dealers and some garden shops carry better quality brands.

.. at substantially higher prices, of course.
There is a much wider selection of much better grills at Home Depot than at Lowes.
--
Regards,

You get what you pay for. You won't find this at HD or Lowes. http://www.napoleongrills.com/Webshare/Gourmet-grills/Benefits.html

Or this one? http://www.rhpeterson.com/firemagic /
Doug Miller wrote:

Possibly but the quality will be similar.

I'm surprised more people don't go this route.
I got mine online at Dickson Supply.
I don't think a conversion is the right way to go. Most of the bottled gas models are on wheels. With NG you want something that doesn't move around.

I found it was cheaper to buy a natural gas grill than to try to convert a LP grill. I suspect they only make expensive ones in NG because that is what sells.
Paul Olmsted wrote:

Hi, Up here in Canada, NG ones are about $50.00 more. Just buy a model made for NG hook up. My gas outlet was already on my patio w/ball valve. I just installed quick connect fitting with a length of hose. I can move around the BBQ quite a bit. No more lugging around tank to refill.
| |
All you need to do is get a new orfice. NG is about 1/2 the btu output of propane so the orfice should be 2 times as large. There is a bit more to it than that so just reaming out the current orfice will not get the desired results. These changes usually cost about $40.
See your local BBQ dealer.
-- PDQ

I took the 5 burner manifold from our "Aussie" grill into the local BBQ shop and they drilled out our 5 old orifices to a larger size.

Thats who did the job..works fine
| | >All you need to do is get a new orfice. NG is about 1/2 the btu output of | >propane so the orfice should be 2 times as large. There is a bit more to | >it than that so just reaming out the current orfice will not get the | >desired results. These changes usually cost about $40. | | I took the 5 burner manifold from our "Aussie" grill into the local BBQ | shop and they drilled out our 5 old orifices to a larger size. | | >See your local BBQ dealer. | | Thats who did the job..works fine | | R | |
Just reaming out the orfice will allow enough NG to get to the burner, but, because the air/fuel mixture is not altered, the reamed barbie will not attain the desired temperatures.
-- PDQ
| | >All you need to do is get a new orfice. NG is about 1/2 the btu output of | >propane so the orfice should be 2 times as large. There is a bit more to | >it than that so just reaming out the current orfice will not get the | >desired results. These changes usually cost about $40. | | I took the 5 burner manifold from our "Aussie" grill into the local BBQ | shop and they drilled out our 5 old orifices to a larger size. | | >See your local BBQ dealer. | | Thats who did the job..works fine | | R | |
Just reaming out the orfice will allow enough NG to get to the burner, but, because the air/fuel mixture is not altered, the reamed barbie will not attain the desired temperatures.
--
PDQ

| | | | >All you need to do is get a new orfice. NG is about 1/2 the btu output | of | | >propane so the orfice should be 2 times as large. There is a bit more to | | >it than that so just reaming out the current orfice will not get the | | >desired results. These changes usually cost about $40. | | | | I took the 5 burner manifold from our "Aussie" grill into the local BBQ | | shop and they drilled out our 5 old orifices to a larger size. | | | | >See your local BBQ dealer. | | | | Thats who did the job..works fine | | | | R | | | | | | Just reaming out the orfice will allow enough NG to get to the burner, but, | because the air/fuel mixture is not altered, the reamed barbie will not | attain the desired temperatures. | | -- | PDQ | | -- | | You may also need to replace the valves so they operate over the desired | range. Since you need 2x as much NG. High on a propane knob will only be | medium with NG. It depends on your model. For highest efficiency, even the | holes in the burner should be considered. | | | | |
Hey Pipe;
Nice to know there is somebody who actually agrees with me.
-- PDQ