Low water pressure...

I had a drain clog and had to clear it using one of those deals you put on the end of the hose and then stick in the pipe which using pressure to clear the clog.

I let it run for aobut 3 - 5 minutes and i could hear the water hammering or pumping (not sure the correct term here). Once i pulled the unit out and tried the drain every thing worked.

It worked fine fine to clear the clog and all that....but for some reason it would appear that my water pressure is only about one half or a bit more than one half of what it was previously. Maybe it is unrelated but everything from my shower to kitchen sink is pretty low in pressure.

Any ideas what would cause this? I am hooked to city water.

There are no pipe breaks or leaks...i would have noticed that by now :)

I just cant figure it.

Reply to
scale

You may have a pressure regulator valve that went bad.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The Drain and water supply are two separate things. It could be as simple as a Poltergeist, Do you notice any cold spots in rooms ?

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

ya im thinking somthing is up. It is probably unrelated to the clog but it was all about the same time. What does a pressure reg valve look like. I know i have a check valve or whatever you call it....one of those that prevents water from flowing backwards (it has that little flapper on it) and i know there is a stop or gate valve running at where the water comes into the house.

Thats all the valves i know of.

I wonder if my water heater is going bad or is clogged. It is like 25 years old :) I dont know if this would affect general pressure though.

I wonder if i blew some valve or meter or somthing where the water comes into the house from the pressure exerted during the blast for the clog. I know the city put in a new water meter last year....i dont know if that would affect or slow my pressure.

hmm...

Reply to
scale

It's impossible for the two to be directly related. If you have no poltergeist, I would look for a drop in city water pressure (ask neighbors) and/or debris at the main water cut-off. If even a single valve has normal pressure, neither of the three suggestions so far is at issue

Reply to
hwm54112
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It could be a leak in the main coming into the house look for wet spots in the yard or softer than usual spots in the lawn/yard. Nothing you did would cause this. I had this happen to me low pressure the no pressure the I found the break.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

You might find some information here:

BTW the back flow valve would also be suspect as might the meter.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The back flow preventor is that small inline copper deal with the big nut on it correct? It sits just after my water softner. I looked at the home depot today and they have a simular unit that has a small copper flapper in it (i looked at one becase i didnt know what the heck it did :) I was talking to a guy at the office and he said he thought it was a water shut off. Just from looking at one at home depot.....im pretty sure there is no way this thing shuts off water in any way :) Its just a flapper thing that sits on the line (for back flow i assume)

I dont know how one of these could be damaged because they seem pretty solid.

I turned on a couple of faucets this morning and watched the meter. IT was turning like crazy. I have a shut off right by the meter (hehh...unfortuantely it is the only one in the house) so i decided to test it and turned the shut off toward off....as it constricted the water (gate valve) the meter slowed down and as i opened it ...the meter picked up speed again. I assme this means that the meter is functioning properly

Cripes......I suppose i could hook up one of those pressure testers you can get at home depot (to the outside faucet or util sink) and see what kind of reading i get or see if it is different beween the 2. I think those testers are about 9 bucks. Might not be a bad idea for troubleshooting

im still scratching my head over this problem. I havent talked to any neighbors about lower water pressure yet either.....

Too bad it wasnt still halloween..........knock knock....trick or treat.....btw....hows your water pressure been?.....heheh.......dumb.

Reply to
scale

That would be a chek valve if it has a flapper. l A backflow preventor is a bit more involved. It has two vavles on top, three fittings for testing, a vent on the bottom. Not often used in homes unless thee is a sprinker system.

In any case, if it is a pressure regulator, it will have a tag showing the pressure range. Usually, there is a bot on the top to make adjustments. Check valves usully have a large nut that will alow access tot he flapper inside. If you can turnt he water off, you can remove the nut and perhaps see if it is blocked or stuck.

It may be stuck and not opening properly. If it is a spring check, the spring could have broken. They usually last a long time, but like anything else mechanical, it will eventually wear out or break.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Keep in mind that water Pressure and Volume are two deferent things. You could have a 1/4" line with 100PSI How much water would you get compared to a 1" line at a 100 PSI. Do you know if there is a Pressure reducing Valve (PRV) on you main into the house? ( Some houses don't need them) The PRV could be faulty you can adjust them the water should be running ( just turn on a sink) )when you adjust it 45 to 55lbs. When you check the water pressure you might notice the pressure slowly climbing past the initial reading. Water dose no compress if there is no air in the lines the hot water expands increases pressure ( Thermal expansion) The pressure can also change do to demand on city water.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Ed,

The hammering heard was the device itself. That type of drain cleane works by pulsation and breaks up the clog. There is never (can I sa never) a sudden release of the clog that would cause the pressur differentials you are talking about. The action of the device causes n more pressure differentils than opening and closing a garden hos nozzle

-- hwm5411

this thread:

hwm54112