Low water level in toilet bowl.

I have a new home (built in 2001) and have a toilet in the 1/2 bath downstairs that has a very low water level. There are no leaks. I have heard that if I adjust the float upwards, so that the resevoir holds more water, the level of the bowl itself will rise. The problem is the float is already maxed out. To raise the level I will have to replace the float and drain pipe in the resevoir (since the level is at the top of that drain as well).

My question to the group is this: Will increasing the water level in the resevoir actually fix my problem and if not what can I do to fix this problem?

Thanks.

Reply to
richard.beech

You should have a small tube that supplies water down a open ended pipe in the tank when the tank is refilling. I would appear that that tube may have been moved, damaged or clogged. Take a look at it and compare it's actions with those of the other toilets.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I agree with Joseph. All of my toilets in my home that was built around

2002 exhibit this. The mechanism in the toilet is cheap. The rubber gets hard and stops the water from flowing in the bowl while the tank is filling. I fixed them by replacing the diaphragm that is in the assembly. This fix lasted about 8 months. Now I plan to put new higher quality assemblies in my tanks.

just lower quality product to line the pockets of some bean counter...

Reply to
dnoyeB

BTW, my toilets are Gerber.

Reply to
dnoyeB

The water level in the bowl is not 'adjustable', it is entirely governed by the consruction of the toilet and the 'trap' molded within. You may be able to see the curved formation in the rear of the bowl that indicates the water flow and the location of the trap.

As others have mentioned, the bowl is suppose to be re-filled - topped off so-to-speak - by a small tube that sprays a small stream of water down the overflow while the tank is refilling. If this isn't working correctly the only water in the bowl after a flush will be what ever is left after the flush.

Try this: SLOWLY pour a pitcher of water (gallon or so) into the bowl after flushing and the tank has filled. The level the water reaches and remains is the fullest level the bowl will ever get. If that's higher than after a flush then the refill tube is probably not working.

Keep in mind that different models fill to different levels. I have several different models (Crane, American Standard, Kohler) in my older home. The newer ones don't fill as full - I figure it is part due to the low water use requirements. The less water in the bowl, the less water that needs to be 'replaced' with each flush - leaving more water for the actual flush.

Does your toilet flush OK? If you don't need to flush twice to clear the bowl, you probably don't have a problem.

Reply to
Mark

The other thing it could be is a bad vent. That can cause the water to be siponed out

Reply to
gfretwell

First off I just want to thank you all for your help...the fix was simple! The tube that was supposed to flow into the overflow was attached to the overflow such that it was flowing into the resevoir and not the overflow. I fixed that in one second and now the bowl fills to an appropriate level.

you all are great!

Reply to
richard.beech

Hi Richard,

I have the same problem. I bought a new Crane toilet bowl and tank. The flushing is great, how ever, after the tank is full, the water in the bowl drops but not that much. How did you fix yours?

Reply to
lcalapini

Sounds like you have a different problem...mine simply had the fill tube attached to the outside of the overflow (it is suppose to put water into that tube to fill the bowl while the tank is filling)...the level never dropped after filling though...sorry, but it sounds like a different problem...this site is great though and if you post it you will get answer

richard

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
richard.beech