Cost to install a ceiling fan?

Does your unit have 240 out, then a 6 circuit 2 watt meter transfer panel is safest, you can see whats being used and balance it easily. A complete prewired Generac transfer kit at lowes might be 2-300$ and take

2-4 hrs install, mine was free at lowes with a 5500w Generac Generator, if it doesnt have 240 out call the manufacturer to see what they recomend
Reply to
sonofabitchsky

Depends on where the wire has to run. Could be $200 to $500 easily.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Wow. I had no idea. There is a switch and our outlet within 12' of the fan location. 4' across to the wall and 8' or so down.

Reply to
sonofabitchsky

You're forgetting the permit, the zoning variance, and the EPA study to make sure there's no asbestos. With beer, I would guess $1.2 million easy.

STeve

Reply to
Steve B

Might not be cheap. This can easily be a full day job, maybe $500. A wireless remote control might save you some installation money, but best to ask the electrician first. Sometimes wiring may involve some drywall cutting and repair without any attic/basement access.

Reply to
Phisherman

I like Ed's assessment. There will be some notches in the wall and ceiling to route the cable up. A fan brace box can be installed through the ceiling with no additional damage. As a ball park figure, including the fan installation, I would get around $325 in NY

Reply to
RBM

I was thinking the wireless remote also would be a easier route. Thanks.

Reply to
sonofabitchsky

Getting down 8' is fairly easy. Getting across the 4' can be impossible depending on how the joists above are run. Making the turn behind the wall with a plate at the top may be difficult or worse. There are fire stops inside the wall about half way down.

There is surface mounted wiring systems that may or may not be acceptable to you, but will definitely be cheaper. Check out a Google search on Wiremold products.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Not sure exactly how a wireless remote would be all that much cheaper. The work involved in getting the wiring from the source (the wall outlet) to the ceiling location for the fan will be the same. Cutting a hole and installing the switch would most likely be fairly straight forward. And even with a remote, a switch would be a good idea - your only way to control the fan if you lost the remote would be the chain switch, if it even has one (my Hunter doesn't).

Reply to
Mark

I'll do it for you real cheap. Get me plane fare to your condo, and include enough air fare for a trip to the Bahamas. Then pay for my 2 week cruise, and enough for all meals and liquor for myself and my 12 wives. After my trip, I'll install your fan for a measly $100,000 paid before I do the job. Sorry, I do not take personal checks, credit cards, money orders, or paypal. You must pay by cash only. By the way, you must provide the sink, concrete mix and all lumber. Plus you purchase all plumbing pipes and welding rods needed to connect the light to your floor.

I'm ready to start today. Send the cash immediately !!!

Reply to
jumbo

I had a wireless remote for a time because I thought it'd be more convenient when laying in bed. Wrong! The remote got weaker with age (fresh batteries made no difference). It became extremely annoying and ultimately I disabled it and went back to the original wiring. Now I just use the pull switch on the fan itself... got myself a longer chain. Works much better.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Maybe he should just get a solar wind-powered model.

Reply to
trbo20

It would be a lot cheaper if you could live with a surface conduit/chase.

Reply to
dadiOH

If you use surface conduit or wire chase as some have said, this project can be done in about a day. Materials cost to install this project could easily run a couple hundred dollars and a days labour at your local contractors rates.

If you want to run the wiring in the wall, you will need to be prepared for drywall repairs and fresh paint. In addition, this project depending on location of existing power supply could run you two electricians for a day, but your materials cost would be lower.

Also, since this is a condo, check your strata rules. You may not even be allowed to make such alterations without permission. And this work would definitely need to be done by a qualified insured licensed trades qualified electrician because of safety requirements for all the other condo owners in the building.

My philosophy on getting work done is to get a minimum of 3 estimates and review them all carefully. Ask for references and call them. Make sure that the contractor is insured and licensed for the type of project being done. And best of luck with your project. A ceiling fan is a wonderful addition to a home, especially on a warm summers night.

Glen

Reply to
Glen

I was going to say that too. If you put that in now, you can replace it later with something inside the ceiling and/or wall.

I'm not a fan of ceiling fans. Have you used them before and know that you like them? They move the air around, I guess, but they don't make a breeze. In the summer, they bring the hot air down to where I am.

I use table fans, and I make them quiet by using either light dimmers (the kind that come in a little box at the end of a wire) or fan speed controls that I have mounted in plastic boxes (I haven't seen them already made.)

A lot of the people here don't approve of my using light dimmers to control fans but I keep the speed high enough so the fan blade turns, but not so high enough that I hear it. Been doing it for 23 years.

If there are a lot of people in the room, or you can't stay in one place, a table fan isn't as good. Personally I don't like the oscillating fans.

Reply to
mm