looking to buy a piece of brass screen or substitute

I'm looking to buy a small piece of brass screen. Like the screen in a kitchen faucet aerator except a little bigger. Say 1 inch by 1 inch or 1 x 1.5. Although I would gladly buy a piece twice as big, to have for a spare, or even bigger. Where do you think I coudl find this for sale?**
**They don't have it at Pep Boys, NAPA auto parts, Home Depot, R.E. Michel and according to the internet, Lowes. Nor did the plumbing supply house I called have it, and he volunteered that he couldn't think of a place to recommend. I'd have called more places but it was 5PM on Friday.
I need this to make a replacement for the screen that is meant to keep rust pieces from entering the petcock on my '69 Honda CB450 motorcycle. I think it would be easy enough to sew, with copper wire, the screen into a tube closed on one end, and then glue that to the reserve intake hole.
So this is meant to be immersed in gasoline almost all the time, except when I'm down to the last half gallon in the tank, when it will be exposed to the air.
Is brass screen the only thing that would work?
If I can't find brass, what about steel screen?? I think I found a screen, maybe with holes a little bit too big, but pretty good, that was meant to be inserted in a sink to keep crud from going down the drain. It was 3 or 4 dollars and I could take it apart.
What about aluminum screen?? Again, the holes are a little too big, but it would be verrry easy to get. Will it dissolve in gasoline after a couple years? I can't think of any part of any other fuel system that is made out of aluminum.
I looked under "metals" in YP.yahoo.com and found a bunch of companies with good names, but no easy way to tell who had brass and who had screening, and if anyone had brass screen.
What about fireplace screens? Is the screen part made out of brass, or only the fame, and if it is, are there any with small holes? (There is a real big fireplace store here that probably has parts of old screens around.)
Remove NOPSAM to email me..
mm wrote:

Hi, Tried any hobby shop? Like model airplane, RC cars, rail road? Or glass/window shop?
mm wrote:

Mcmaster Carr under "woven wire cloth" - stainless discs- 55 thou weave- 6 dollars part #9317T115 Pat
Hobby store Model railroad store Model ship store

mm writes:

mscdirect.com mcmaster.com

<snip>
www.smallparts.com
Good place for small quantities of hard to find stuff. A bit pricey, but if you gotta have it....
mm wrote:

Try smallparts.com

Your gas tank is rusting on the inside? Why not fix the cause rather than try to prevent the results?
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID82&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C389%2C390%2C398&KickerID53&KICKER
10166 Z Gas Tank Sealer Kit For Cycles $33.99
I have some bronze screen I could send you. Window bug screens were made from bronze in travel trailers up until the early 50's.
cm
www.vintagetrailersforsale.com

Tried a Head shop? And I don't mean cylinder head. I mean brass screens for brass smoking pipes. Well they had 'em 35 years ago anyway...
Al Bundy wrote:

They probably still do, because I heard the maintenance guy in our building complaining that the aerators on faucets throughout the place were periodically stolen so that the screens in them could be used in homemade bongs.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
mm wrote:

Why don't you try bikebandit.com or a Honda dealer and get the OEM part to replace it?
Bike Guy Joe wrote:

I'm thinking if that doesn't work, a GOOD hobby shop or art supply store catering to model builders might have it, alternately, a *gasp* head shop might have some as well.
nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

I don't think the kind you buy at a headshop will be big enough.