Looking for wireless switch

I have an application where I want to install a switch controlled ceiling light. Unfortunately, I am unable to run a wire from the switch box to the light junction box. What I am looking for is a wireless switch that can control a relay inside a junction box. Does anyone have an idea who makes this. Using google, I found:
1) One option where an existing switch (which controls a ceiling light) is replaced by a special switch. A second wireless switch can then be placed anywhere else. I don't have an existing switch.
2) A wireless switch that controls a receiver which is plugged into an outlet. Close but I want a switch controlling an receivers designed to fit into an standard junction box.
Any ideas (other than ripping open walls and ceilings)?
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Here is one manufacturer:
http://tinyurl.com/38wdx6
[8~{} Uncle Monster
On Sep 15, 8:43 pm, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Dont rip anything open!
I do this all the time with Leviton X10 switches, the signal is actually transmitted over the power line (not RF), in the ceiling Jbox use this relay module to switch the load:
http://www.smarthome.com/2250.html
Or if you want it to be dimmable this module:
http://www.smarthome.com/2251.html
Then for your switch (which can be mounted anywhere in the house, not even the same room) mount this in your wallswitch Jbox:
For controlling a single light on/off/brt/dim:
http://www.smarthome.com/4260W.html
For controlling multiple relay or dimmer modules:
http://www.smarthome.com/4231w.html http://www.smarthome.com/4265W.html http://www.smarthome.com/4262W.html http://www.smarthome.com/4263W.html http://www.smarthome.com/4264W.html
Note the switch in the wall does not actually switch the load, it is merely an electronic transmitter (draws only 2 watts), the module in the ceiling Jbox will be actually switching the load and responding to the commands you sent from the wall controller. You assign an X10 address to the module in the ceiling, then assign the same X10 address to whatever switch/buttons that you want to have controlling that module. It's pretty simple, requires no electrician and no physical wiring between the light and the switch, its "virtual wiring" in computer-speak. Handy if you want to quickly add a switch to your master bedroom that can flip the porch lights on/off, no need to run wires.
The manuals for all of the above are available on these pages, it is very easy to set up and the technology has been around since 1978 (I got my first ones in 1984).
HTH
I have used literally dozens of X10 switches and other devices around several buildings including my home, and wanted to add the warnings that false triggering can and will occur causing lights / appliances to suddenly come on or shut off with no intentional user initiation / actions. This is due to noise on the AC line causing the receiver to mistakenly "recognize" a noise burst as if it were a true transmitter sequence.
Also, I should warn that typical home and business wiring with 2 separate 110 volt feeds being supplied from a center-tapped 220 volt line transformer have enough isolation from one side to the other that many installed X10 receivers fail to hear / trigger correctly if the transmitter happens to be on the opposite leg.
I have cases here in my home where outlets on two ends of the same room are fed from opposite branches, and thus the X10 transmitter at one end of the room cannot trigger the receiver / fixture plugged in 12 feet away. Yes, I am very aware of methods to overcome this problem as well as the prior problem I stated, but they add a lot of complexity and cost.
Bottom line is that X10 is not at all reliable, and the much newer "Insteon" system which provides feedback between transmitter and receiver is way better, albeit more expensive.
Smarty

Smarty,

to control from the house. It was around 80' from the house to the garage. The x10 never worked reliably. I replaced it with Insteon and it's worked perfectly now for 2 months. Richard

Yes, I agree the old X10 can be quirky, I switched from X10 to Insteon and currently have 55 Insteon devices in my basement network with 100% reliability (I have an elaborate home theater with a lot of accent lighting). Insteon has a Jbox module but they are bigger so I was not sure if he could fit it inside the ceiling box, so I recommended X10 for a "beginner" since it appears that the load and wallswitch will probably be on the same branch circuit anyway so it should work. I also recommended the Leviton DHC because it has a stronger signal and better noise rejection than the cheaper X10 stuff like HomePro, they also use beefier triacs in the dimmers. If he were looking to go long distances across the split phase then I would certainly suggest going Insteon also.
So to the OP, you can look up the Insteon products on the same site and decide.

Insteon wire in modules:
http://www.smarthome.com/2475d.html http://www.smarthome.com/2475s.html
Inseon wall controllers (wallswitches):
http://www.smarthome.com/_/Dimmers_Lighting_Appliance_Control/Dimmers_Wall_Switches_Keypads_Touchscreens/INSTEON/Wall_Switches_Dimmers/_/z/1QV/23b/2MD/nav.aspx
http://www.smarthome.com/_/Dimmers_Lighting_Appliance_Control/Dimmers_Wall_Switches_Keypads_Touchscreens/INSTEON/In_Wall_Keypads/_/z/1QV/23b/2MF/nav.aspx
Note: with Insteon the wall switches can also switch/dim a load, IOW it's not a dedicated controller-only switch like the Leviton X10 above. If you dont need to switch the load from the wall wiring then just cap the wire called "load" and the switch will be a transmitter only, to the module in the ceiling box which is switching the load.

good luck in finding a better one. BUT... The first thing you want to do is identify where the feed is from. Just maybe you can intercept it and put a switch in. Not likely, but worth investigating.

Here is a wireless switch that doesn't require batteries: http://ecmweb.com/product_depot/electric_wireless_switch_sheds /