want to have outlets on an on/off switch

I have 2 power outlets right behind each other - one on the inside on my house, the other on the outside. I want to plug in some lights to the outside outlet and instead of going outside to plug/unplug the cord alll the time, I want to install an on/off switch inside my house to control these outlets.

Can someone point me in the direction for some easy steps on how to do this?

Fyi, there is a switch already installed above the inside outlet which controls an outside light to my patio. Although I don't want to have this light on the same switch as the power outlets, I wonder if there is someway to use it for my purposes??? Thanks! MG

Reply to
M Gazer

One option is to get a remote control timer. I have seen two types (at Cdn Tire Garrison Outdoor Remote Timer $24.99 CDN) - one for indoors & the other for outdoors. Using one of these you could set the timer for the lights to go on/off at preset times ....and /or ... use the remote to manually turn the lights on or off.

If you were a little more familar with home wiring, you likely could change out the inside outlet (assuming it is not a GF) with a switch, outlet duplex. Leaving one outlit inside (switched or not) and switched outlets outside.

I am a little uncertain about suggesting where to go look, since there are so many things that may be different from one location to antother, and if you don't notice the departure from the expected, it could be deadly.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

From M Gazer, received via e-mail "Thanks for the post..I opened up the outlet on the inside of the house and there are 2 sets of wires coming in. I assumed that the outside outlet was connected in series AFTER this inside outlet so I replaced the inside outlet with a switch (blacks to switch, piggybacked whites). Well, turns out that turning the switch on and off does NOTHING to the power at the outside receptacle. This would mean that the outside outlet is connected BEFORE the inside one on the series, right???

"That being the case, how can I rig this thing up so that I can control the power to the outside receptacle from inside? I don't want to start punching holes in the plaster and I have ZERO experience fishing wires through walls..

"Is this a job for an electrician??!!!

I have responded to Mr. Gazer that my response and others can be found here.

My response:

You have found that the easy way will not work. However from here it is not possible to determine just how difficult your project may be. While it may be possible, to do the job without cutting any holes in your wall, your report has indicated it is not likely. It is also clear someone with a fair amount of experience is needed on site to make the determination.

Doing the job is not really difficult, including patching the wall if necessary, once you know what you are doing. The real trick from here is what set of instructions to offer, since we can't see it.

I might add that "A" offered some good advice and if you go that direction you should be able to do what you want, without a lot of our help. I personally feel direct wire is more reliable, I do have some of the remote technology he spoke of in my home and it works well, if not perfect.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan