Local Consumer Reporter Sting operation Exposes Crooked Locksmiths.

Page 2 of 2
mm wrote:

It's about time someone brought that up. Exactly what I was thinking. I think it's perfectly reasonable for a locksmith called to open a car to assume the person who called him over had at least the sense of a turnip and had tried all the doors. Sure, he could have checked again, but I don't think it makes him a crook or dishones just because he didn't. This isn't like taking a reporter taking a TV with just a blown fuse to be fixed and then receiving a bill for all kinds of uneeded repairs. They called the locksmith to open the car door and he did.
It's like insulting the customer.
"Are you so stupid to have not tried the doors? I'm going to check to make sure you aren't stupid."
Sunshine Locksmith Team http://www.SunshineLocksmith.com http://www.SunshineTeam.net

doosey wrote:

A *real* locksmith would have probably quoted $200, found the door was unlocked and possibly charged minimum callout only. This is tricky, since if the customer accepted a quote (as distinct from an estimate) of $140, the locksmith would be entitled to the $140 no matter how easy the car was to open, but conversely the customer would be entitled to pay no more than $140 no matter how long the opening took (perhaps there were exceptional circumstances, such as if someone somehow fitted Medeco locks to the car).
A locksmith would be wise presumably to 'hedge' the quote with something like 'unless there were unusual circumstances'.