Diesel sting

I was in the pub t'other night chatting with a local farmer - seems he had a visit from a number of ne'er-do-wells who pinched a load of diesel out of the farmyard tanks. That in itself was bad enough, but it seems it's quite common for the scrotes to leave the filler handle fixed open on the floor so that all the diesel in the tank runs away. If the farmer padlocks the filler to the tank, they simply cut the hose.
The daft thing is that if all they nicked was a few gallons on the quiet, no-one would be any the wiser.
Anyway, 'elf 'n safety have told him he needs a new tank as the delivery men aren't allowed to climb ladders ( to fill tanks ) and the farmer isn't allowed to operate the tanker gear ( hey ho ).
So, he's got a new tank and somewhere more secure to site it - and it occurred to a few punters in the pub that if a quantity of diesel was left in the old tank and a suitable 'additive' added to it, it might make for a nice 'gift' next time the scrotes come round for a spot of traditional 'Olde Englishe Diesel Snaffing'.
Bearing in mind that such tanks are gravity powered and bottom ( or thereabouts ) draining, whatever was added would need to be light enough to remain in suspension or at least be whipped up by light turbulence as the diesel drained out. All I could come up with was fine carborundum powder.
Any suggestions?
Regards,
--
Steve ( out in the sticks )
Email: Take time to reply: timefrom_usenetgmx.net
Stephen Howard wrote:

Sodium Silicate?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/31/AR2009073101173.html
""We poured it into that Dodge and it killed it in eight seconds," said Brooks, pointing to another vehicle as he put down the half-gallon jug of liquid called "Clunker Bomb." The chemical is sodium silicate. In red lettering on the bottle, it reads, "Engine Grenade," and there's a skull and crossbones over the profile of a car."
--
Adrian C

Adrian C wrote:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/31/AR2009073101173.html
Presumably it would be a good idea if the vehicle made it a certain distance off the premises before expiring?
On Fri, 04 Sep 2009 17:41:03 +0100, Jim wrote:

Hooooo, yes. the last thing you want is a bunch of hacked-off scroates (though there's an idea ...) with no transport wandering around an otherwise deserted farmhouse. I did see an episode of Mythbusters where they were trying various ways to kill a car. ISTR they added bleach to the oil. The engine ran for some time until it died a death. I don't know what effect it would have in diesel. Anyone?

Tony Martin for Prime Minister!
On Fri, 04 Sep 2009 11:51:04 -0700, cynic wrote:

=============================================== Or, 'Lord High Executioner'.
Cic.
Using Ubuntu Linux

It is poured into the engine, where the oil would go; see the Wikipedia entry.
I think diesel tanks usually have a side tapping, or an upstand, to allow a space for sludge and condensed water to collect below the draw- off. Heating oil tanks storing red diesel (class D?) are certainly arranged like that.

I saw that the first time you posted. What a waste of a decent Volvo that was.
How does the stuff work to destroy the engine?
--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.

Sugar?
George
furnessvale wrote:

...has absolutely no effect what so ever, in fact it makes quite a good filter.
Slatts
Stephen Howard wrote:

Sugar is the traditional additive for such instances, isn't it? or is that just for petrol?
David
Lobster wrote:

Apparently not http://www.snopes.com/autos/grace/sugar.asp
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
The Medway Handyman wrote:

We once has an aircraft sabotaged by some nerk putting sugar in the fuel. It had no effect for ages until some stupid pilot didn't do his water drains and the water in the fuel dissolved the sugar. So we tried it in an old Brig & Stratton engine - it went on for ages- we gave up in the end. Ten years later we still have the sample in the fuel test cupboard to show people what sugar in fuel looks like.
Slatts
On Fri, 04 Sep 2009 17:06:54 +0000, Stephen Howard wrote:

Has farmer removed the pins from the handle so that you have to hold it on like retail filler nozzle? Or are the scroates suplying their own pins or wiring the nozzle open?

How about a lockable valve right up against the tank

Water? It'll sit in the bottom of the tank and won't run an engine. Will the scroates bother to check or notice?
A jerry can or two so of red diesel (always assuming it's not red they are knicking) might result in them getting knicked for that but it's probably a slim chance, unless you get registration numbers and can tip off the authorities.
Not sure that any solids in suspension would get past the fuel filter in large enough size/quantity to cause damage. They could clog filter of course but that is simple to change.
Something soluable, sugar has always been an old wives tale. Donno what affect that would have on a diesel engine. Of course you don't know what the scroates are doing with the fuel, using it themselves or flogging it on to so some "unsuspecting" punter, mind you if they buying cheap diesel from "a man in the pub" they deserve what they get...
--
Cheers
Dave.

On Fri, 04 Sep 2009 17:49:34 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"

They wire the nozzle open - or simply cut it off. I assume it's so that if they get caught in the act the farmer is going to have to choose between chasing them or shutting off the diesel leak.

Moot point now as he has a new plastic tank - which the scrotes can cut through with a hole saw....

As the thefts are usually carried out at night it wouldn't be easy for them to check 'on site' - but I would imagine they'd have a look later.

I'm wondering is something like Redex might be an option. I don't suppose it would do any damage, but I know it sure gives off a hell of a lot of smoke if used in petrol engine.
Regards,
--
Steve ( out in the sticks )
Email: Take time to reply: timefrom_usenetgmx.net

Redex sounds expensive - would plain/old engine oil mix in and stay mixed with the diesel? what would it do to a users engine? smoke?
JimK
Stephen Howard wrote:

I'd assume that the farm may well produce a lot of used oil from servicing tractors, combines etc. So how about just dumping all the waste oil in the old tank with the remains of the diesel. dropping it into the top of a near empty tank should stir it up enough to mix quite a bit.
Adding oily diesel to the scrotes vehicle would not incapacitate it immediately but should make good smoke on the way home!
Bob

great minds think alike bob! jimk

Fill it with petrol instead of diesel.

Now that sounds like fun!
Not that I would suggest any such thing but I recall that the "standard" thickening agent in a Molotov used to be pieces of a pair of tights. Wikipedia differs and says: "Thickening agents such as tar, strips of tire tubing, sugar, animal blood, XPS foam, egg whites, motor oil, rubber cement, and dish soap have been added to help the burning liquid adhere to the target and create clouds of thick choking smoke."