Line switch on vacuum cleaner

I have a Black & Decker Dirt Buster that had the switch repaired about

2 years ago. It is out again. I don't want to spend the $$ to have another repair that won't last.

I went to put on a line-switch, like I have installed on lamps in the past, but don't know whether I can do it on this appliance.

The cord is round, not flat like lamp cords, and thicker.

E173455 and SHO-01

On the bottom of the Dirt Buster itself is written:

HV7000 yp 1 120 VAC 60 Hz

67A 789W (NOM 6,7 a - 780W)

Does this give enuff info to tell me whether I can open the cord and install a line switch?

Alternatively, can a lovable klutz actually install a new internal switch?

TIA

Hypatia

-
Reply to
Higgs Boson

*There are inline switches made for round cord, but I don't know if you will find one rated for 6.7 amps. It should probably be horse power rated as well. It sounds as though yours might be 1 HP.

If you have patience, proper tools and perseverance you can probably replace the existing switch (Assuming replacements are available).

Reply to
John Grabowski

Take it apart and look for some id on the switch. Also carefully bypass the switch with a clip lead and make sure it is the switch and not the motor.

Reply to
hrhofmann

=A0Also carefully

The motor is running...how could it be the motor? You shouldn't bypass a shorted switch...it is just not safe. And if you had to shut-down quickly...you wouldn't be as close to the switch.

bob

Reply to
Bob Villa

Where does the OP say it is running???? I sure didn't see it on my version!!!

Reply to
hrhofmann

If he thinks he is not qualified to change the switch...why would he be taking it apart to by-pass it? Simple assumption!

Reply to
Bob Villa

One could always try one of these:

[SMF]