I shut my hallway light off (basic ceiling fixture) and the switch gave
off a huge spark. I tried to
turn the light back on and it wouldn't work. I then tried the switch at
the other end of the
hallway, and that wouldn't work either. Next I changed the bulbs, and
is this a call the electrician sort of thing? Or are there things we can
try first to get it fixed.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
sounds like the circuit breaker tripped from a short, check all
breakers or fuses.
if a breaker is tripped their might be a underlying problem although
just once a bad bulb must of shorted somehow and tripped the breaker.
the spark might have been the light bulb frying try the old bulbs in a
known working fixture
Well, given you have to ask, it may be an electrician thing but...
One presumes probably tripped the breaker(/blew a fuse depending on age
of house/wiring) when the spark occurred.
That indicates either there was a short to ground for some
reason--either a switch failure or a bare/loose hot managed to make
contact w/ a ground or the grounded box or such.
Make sure the breaker for the circuit in question is off and look inside
the box..you can probably see the signs of where the spark occurred and
tell whether it was the switch or a wire. Whatever it was, fix it...
If the above seems complicated, call the electrician or find a handy
neighbor, co-worker, whatever...
likely that the breaker or fuse didn't trip. You need to find out what caused
the spark. If could be a bad fixture, bad switch or wiring. It does sound like
something you might be needing an electrician to look at for you.
The OP may also have to change thelother 3-three-way switch, as there
may have been a current surge that would weld the contacts on the
second part of the circuit.
To the OP:
Find a handy neighbor if at all possible, have them help you replace
the 3-way switch that sparked. But first make sure the circuit
breaker/fuse that controls that circuit has shut off the power to the
circuit so you don't get a bad shock or generate even more sparks.
Your complete lack of basic rational logic and basic diagnostic
skills, and the fact that checking the circuit breakers never crossed
your mind, indicates that this should be left to a professional.
Think for a minute. What sparked? The SWITCH. Why are you changing
Think for a minute. What are the odds that MULTIPLE light bulbs would
all burn out at once? Have you ever seen it before, that wasn't a
movie about a ghost or an alien invasion?
This is what I'm talking about. You are looking at clearly obvious
symptoms that say NOT the light bulbs, yet you ignore them and start
changing light bulbs.
You don't need to be an electrician or know anything about
electricity. All you need is basic logic and common sense.
The switch sparked. Now the lights no longer work. Logic and common
sense say that the problem is probably in the SWITCH!
Switches burn out. Switches break. Especially the cheap Chinese ones
they sell now.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.