Light not working

Hiya lurked in here for a while and now i'm hoping someone can help me out.I've renewed a few ceiling lights,and done other electrical jobs before.But yesterday posed a problem for me.

I have just taken down a light with a fan attached to it.The house still has the original wiring (about 40 years old) It's not as good as it should be..Anyway when i took the fan down a couple of wires had worked loose from the connector blocks.I never had a tester so i didn't know exactly where the wires where from.

After trying for a while i contacted a friend of mine who's an electrician.He came over and sorted the wires out in about 5 mins. He checked the light and fan was working and then left me to finish off putting the blades and shades on.when i had finished i went to go upstairs only to find the upstairs llanding light ight wouldn't go on. The upstairs light is the kind where you it can be switched on from upstairs by a single switch and downstairs by a 2 way which also switches the hall light on. Could it be possible that the kitchen fan is linked to the upstairs and a wire has not been connected properly. I thought that if the upstairs light wasnt working then the hall wouldn't either.I have checked the rose and the wires are tightly connected. I can't contact my friend as has gone away for a week. Anyone any input on this.

Thanks

Reply to
JIMBO

Yes !

Not neccessary !

I have checked the rose and the wires are tightly connected.

Seriously, you obviously don't know what you are doing, (it's not like fitting a plugtop or changing a lightbulb) so get someone who does before you kill yourself or somebody else!!!

CG

Reply to
Blueyonder

yep, the light fitting you miswired feeds the now dead light.

You'll likely have 3 cables coming to the fitting

  1. supply, LNE, or maybe LN if that old
  2. feed to other lights, LNE or LN
  3. wire to switch, L and switched L, and hopefully E too.

If you disconnect your Ls and Ns and work out which is which, should be straightforward enough to work out what to do. Just dont make a mistake with the earths, that would be dangerous. But getting Ls and Ns in wrong places is unlikely to damage anyone.

Can you work out what to do on paper? Cos if not, I'd leave it alone.

NT

Reply to
bigcat