stupid screw logic

wouldn't it be easier to get the screw out, spend a couple of bucks at the Borg and get a small box of new screws?

a2rjh

I'm taking a wild guess that he was talking about one of the hinge adjustment screws. Not something you'll find on a store shelf....

Reply to
Larry Fishel

I find that most screws, when they srip out, not enough metal left to slot. Sometimes flat head phillips can be slotted. A dremel and a cut off wheel is a better tool than a hacksaw.

If the screw is out, it makes a lot more sense to go buy another one. If you're close to the store, if the store is open, and if you have the transportation and the money and the time.

.

Stormin Mormon

For those 'buried' screw heads that strip out, has anybody tried placing a drop of really, really good glue on the head; after slightly setting up, making an impression of the philips tip into the glue [use slight oil film to keep tip from sticking]; and after the glue has set, back the screw out?

Reply to
Robert Macy

I've not, but it sounds like a use for two part epoxy. Clever thinking. Never know, it might be a totally useful idea.

.

For those 'buried' screw heads that strip out, has anybody tried placing a drop of really, really good glue on the head; after slightly setting up, making an impression of the philips tip into the glue [use slight oil film to keep tip from sticking]; and after the glue has set, back the screw out?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I think he thinks if he can't tighten the screw he can't take it out, either. If he repairs the slot, he can do either. So he just iightens it.

I took stripped to mean the threads are ruined.

But he seems to mean the slot is ruined and the screwdriver couldnt' bite until the slot was recut.

Does "stripped" apply to a damaged slot?

Reply to
micky

Also, if it is a decorative hinge and the screws show, you probably can't get it at a store.

I waited until a neighbor threw away original cabinets identical to mine, to get replacement hinges and screws to go with them. . Two of my hinges had been damaged by a tube carton of toilet bowl cleaner that was there for months, (cardboard cylinder with flex plactic insert lid) which eventually filled the space under the sink with bowl cleaner vapor. The hinges were on t e outside of the door, but they still got corroded at one end.

Reply to
micky

Do you ;know a glue that can do that?

Reply to