Light bulbs and hi-hat covers

A few questions on hi hat lights.

I have these exterior hi hats all the way up there, over 20 feet tall. I know there are light bulb grabbers that can change the bulbs, but I have to pull off these spring loaded covers before I can change them. How do I get up there? A very tall ladder? I have to sort of search out to change it even with a tall ladder and I don't feel comfortable doing it, not keeping good balance and it's not easy to remove the cover which has two clamps on each side. Any idea?

Since I have a row of these along the eave, on each side and also along the interior corridor. There are like 48 bulbs I need to change. The cost of light bulbs add up real quick, I was going to get regular bulbs at $2-$3 a piece, but then I saw these flourescent bulbs that sells for $7 for a set of

    The box says it's 60W...so I am tempted, but there was another guy there said these bulbs are not bright compared to the incandescent and they flicker a lot and they take a good few seconds to come on. Is this true? Any thoughts whether I should use the florescent bulbs? Are the 60w floscent same brightness as the 60w incandescent?

Finally, one of the hi-hat covers is missing, and since all of them looks the same I am trying to find a matching one. HD does not carry anything like it, any idea where I might be able to find one? It is a white circular rim with a piece of round glass in the middle held in place by two clamps.

Thanks in advance,

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

There is no other way except getting up there on a ladder. Inside the can will be the manufacturers name, but it looks like an "Atlite" brand with fresnel lens

RBM

A few years ago, I might have agreed with that other guy. Most of them available today are great. They don't flicker, make noise have bad color or have short lives. They save energy and last a very long time. Most also fulfill their promise on light output.

I suggest you get one pack and see how you like them. While you are considering this, remember different brands are different in output and color and quality. Remember that they are going to be a lot cooler in the summer and save a lot of energy and they will still save energy in the winter. However if you ever want to add a dimmer, many will not allow dimming, but some do, check the package.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Thank you very much. I will try them out! Dimming is not a requirement.

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

The cold start isn't much of a problem anymore, most of those type lights are rated for -20 degrees start (it will list it on the package). But, the bulbs may not fit into these fixtures. I have similar ones and the compact fluorescents won't go in, the inner reflector has a hole that is too small for the base of the lamp to fit through. So try just one to begin with.

Dennis

Reply to
DT

Also, if you Google the manufacturer's name (from inside the can) you can see what different trim pieces they have for the cans you are using. Possibly they have a version that can take a CF bulb.

Reply to
EXT