Aluminum screens - no one does it anymore?

I have a few overhead screens - over the pool, over a planter area like below:

That are aluminum insect screens. They are very tough and durable but now worn after many many years. I asked a few companies to replace them but all they carry now are the fiber glass plastic versions. No one does aluminum screens anymore? Mine even had the security wires built into the mesh.

Can I buy aluminum screens somewhere and replace them myself?

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

try local old style hardware store

Reply to
hallerb

Google for suppliers, I have seen aluminum, copper and heavy duty fabric. It just takes a little work to round up.

try local old style hardware store

Reply to
EXT

It is like everything else. Fiberglass screen is easier to work with and cheaper so that is what the contractrors use. It is still availble but harder to find. The real trick with rolling screen on a pool cage is getting up there and not falling. "Screen monkeys" will walk the grid but they usually weigh 100 lbs and are fearless. They also know how to get it tight without a wrinkle.

Reply to
gfretwell

That's right. Remove the frame and take it to a real hardware store. Ace or True Value usually repair sceens and screen frames. The metal screen is stil available and they will use andy kind of screen you specify.

Just don't expect perfect results with metal screen. It is hard to get smooth even if you are experienced. Yes, you can do it yourself if you have a mind to. I occasionally replaced mine for while. Now I just pay the guy at Ace on the Lake.

There is nothing wrong with nylon screen. Ask for the heavier stuff. They call it pet-resistant. It is better suited for you if you want to DIY. I use that pet resistant screen for replacements and it is quite durable and stays smooth.

Reply to
Lawrence

Try a company that builds screened pool enclosures. They get busy after hurricane season.

-- Oren

Oren

I don't get it. I have no ojbectiion to aluminum or vinycl, but wouldn't aluminum be MORE pet-resistant?

And yes, the ACE hardware just west of Baltimore does aluminum or any other kind of screens. Getting the burglar alarm wires put in again will probably cost what it did the first time, adjsted for inflation.

I don't remember how much that is, but with the old ones as a guide, and salvaging any special parts from the old ones, one might be able to do it himself.

Or, I wonder if the same guy might do both the screen and the wires. That is, check with whomever the burglar alarm companies would send you to about how much for the whole job.

Reply to
mm

The pet resistant screen is tougher but especially in screen doors the spline will pop out before the screen tears.

Reply to
tom

Most every where has aluminum screen . Even wal-mart sells it. I can't believe these threads go on and on and on over nothing.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Nothing? This is an eternal and earth-shaking battle, between the metals of the past, and the oil-based plastics of the present.

But what will the future bring?

:)

Reply to
mm

probably aluminum. Seems a lot of things are reverting back to the things of the past because they're better.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I sure hope so.

I remember when I was a kid, my grandmother used to cook in the basement. Y'see, there was a nice new range in the kitchen, and this hugeass old thing had been moved down into the basement and hooked back up again, you know, just in case she needed to cook a big meal for Thanksgiving or Christmas or something. Well apparently at some point the new one broke, and she claimed that she always liked the old one better anyway. I thought she was insane, and also worried that she was going to break her neck on the open stairs.

I think I understand now, or at least am beginning to.

I only wish I could have geared that stove, and the matching gas fridge, from the basement when she moved out... if nothing else, they just looked vintage cool and knowing what I know now, that stove probably

*did* cook better than the new one. well, there was also the workshop full of 40's vintage Delta woodworking tools... I always knew I wanted those, but at the time I was in no position to offer anything resembling a fair price for them (and I'm sure I could have had them for free if I'd asked, but I know that nobody in my family was ever rich) and I had nowhere to put them anyway, being a college student at the time...

10 years later I have a place to put them, but I'm sure they're long gone :(

BTW my grandmother is still alive and well, so apparently all that walking up and down the steps was good for her!

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel