Lifespan of vinyl siding?

How long does vinyl siding usually last? How do you know when it needs to be replaced?

I live in a neighborhood of 20 year old home and have noticed nearly everyone on the block replacing their siding. Some of the homeowners I've questioned have either had storm damage or were getting ready to sell their home and wanted to tout new siding as a feature.

My siding seems OK, but is faded. Is this a sign that it needs replaced? What sorts of other problems might I have if the siding is too old?

Thanks a bunch!

Reply to
catedean

Vinyl siding will start too look bad long before it will stop performing properly. Sun can fade it, and mold and mildew can grow on it, and it can get dirty and dusty. Near roads it can look even worse because of pollution from cars. So, most people want to freshen up their homes with new. To see if it needs to be replaced you look for cracks or missing pieces. Mostly its asthetic.

I cant say for sure how long its lifespan is. Its a very long time but may vary by weather conditions, even vary from one side of the house to another due to exposure differences.

Reply to
No

[...]

It can be painted, and lasts longer than aluminum siding around here. my neighbors aluminum is dented from hail and the paint is faded and chalking.

as long as its niot cracking I wouldnt worry about it

Reply to
hallerb

Depends on your definition of "lasts". It also depends on color and climate. Mine is white, put up in 1978. There is no damage but it has a little chalking. I wash it down once a year and it still looks good. My guess is I have at least 5 to 10 years to go and maybe I'll paint it to get another 5 to 7 from it.

Some of the houses down the road from me were built in 1976. The builder there used cheap materials. Most every house there has been repainted, but even that was more for appearance as the siding it still in acceptable shape. Most were getting faded, not damaged or deteriorated physically. I've been holding off painting in spite of my wife's desire for another color. Once painted, it will have to be painted every 7 to 10 years.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The siding these days is better than yester year.

(I cant say ALL siding is better, but you get what you pay for)

Most better siding is virgin siding that's color is throughout the siding. So it should ALWAYS look the same color. You'll barely see any scratches etc in it if they happen.

Reply to
BocesLib

Maybe a change in trim/shutters is in order. Lots of things go with white ;)

Banty (lady who likes color...)

Reply to
Banty

Thanks so much for all the replies!

We're going to look into painting it, or just updating the shutters and trim.

Thanks again!!

Reply to
catedean