Lessons from Sandy

Page 10 of 13

You are obviously using something less than 150 Watts and that's only when it's running. Think about a 100 W solar panel. If your ''on'' time is less than 50%, you should be good to go with not all that big a battery. In fact you would never discharge it very much so you should get good service life.

The solar route sounds very good to me, but I have some doubts. Firstly, costs for something that won't be very efficient, given the location and orientation of my roofs, are a concern. Secondly, unless I go for the gold-plated (figure of speech) install with all the bells and whistles that pay me back for what I "sell" to electric company, I'd be paying for something that I won't use 95% of the time, but where I have to make sure the batteries are in good shape for when the shit hits the fan. Lastly, with a solar install, I'd want to have most of my home be able to workas if it was on the grid, not just the most essential things. So it becomes a trade-off between installation cost and usability. I can't figure it out and make a decision ...
--
Best regards
Han

I know I live in the northern Appalachian region with the fewest sunny days in America, my solar panels pretty much useless after over a week. I hear the sun is suppose to be seen tomorrow ?? Hope it's still there.
Greg
Parts of USA don't get enough sun shine to be useful. Yours sounds like such an area. I bet the lack of sun gets depressing.
Have you seen the movie "The Road"? Now, that is depressing.
I know I live in the northern Appalachian region with the fewest sunny days in America, my solar panels pretty much useless after over a week. I hear the sun is suppose to be seen tomorrow ?? Hope it's still there.
Greg
Ah, yes, the old reliables.
During 2003, I asked one neighbor how he was doing. Fine, but no batteries for his radio. I gave him some. Later, I asked if he was going to do anything different for the "next one". Nope. So, this time I didn't bother to ask how he was doing.
wrote in message
Things you should have already known. Family here learned also that you should not run your generator indoors.
My neighbor who came over for water an outage or two ago was complaining that they could not find any D cells for their portable radio.
Some people never learn.
On 10/31/2012 9:10 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

We have a lot of power outages with lines coming here along treed roads. In one extended one, before I had a generator, this neighbor had to get water for his toilets from the creek a quarter mile away. When the power was only out a few hours, they had run out of water to drink or brush their teeth. Even with a generator, I still keep bottled water and extra water for flushes. There are times that the well pump is broken. When that happens I can hook up to a next door neighbor and I've had them hook up to me.
If you don't have a few bottles of water, a flashlight, or a few extra batteries, you're a FUBAR loser.
Sounds like you and neighbor need more water storage containers, to fill when the water is on?
Interesting idea, to plumb in a "share tube". I like it.
We have a lot of power outages with lines coming here along treed roads. In one extended one, before I had a generator, this neighbor had to get water for his toilets from the creek a quarter mile away. When the power was only out a few hours, they had run out of water to drink or brush their teeth. Even with a generator, I still keep bottled water and extra water for flushes. There are times that the well pump is broken. When that happens I can hook up to a next door neighbor and I've had them hook up to me.
If you don't have a few bottles of water, a flashlight, or a few extra batteries, you're a FUBAR loser.
On 10/31/2012 5:48 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I've got enough and neighbor had to borrow containers too. Neighbor's got plenty of money but if thieves ever broke into their house they'd probably leave money on the table when they saw how little stuff they had.
Water containers are free. Most folks drink enough juice and soda, that they can store a bunch of water, over a period of time. That's how I did it.
Milk jugs not suitable, the plastic is too soft. They leak.
wrote in message
I've got enough and neighbor had to borrow containers too. Neighbor's got plenty of money but if thieves ever broke into their house they'd probably leave money on the table when they saw how little stuff they had.
On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 19:07:22 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

If you are doing long term storage, you have to clean them very, very well. Even a small sugar residue can feed things you don't want in your water.

Clean well, refill ever o often. I use kitty litter jugs, some at least 5 gallon. I treated with chlorine after filling. Right next to storage is 40 gallon hot water heater. More water. I could have really used a medicine dropper, will get one.
Greg
gregz wrote:

Again: Do not drink the water from a water heater (unless sterilized). Use such water for cleaning or sanitary purposes.

Or out of the WC (John)
Do you have any water for drinking and cooking?
Clean well, refill ever o often. I use kitty litter jugs, some at least 5 gallon. I treated with chlorine after filling. Right next to storage is 40 gallon hot water heater. More water. I could have really used a medicine dropper, will get one.
Greg

I got water as above. It's a long walk to the river.
Greg

For long term survival, a water filter would be nice, and a rainwater collector.
Greg

org...
Just boil it.

That does not remove contaminants and odor.
Fresh polyethylene or polypropylene clay kitty litter buckets are easy to clean, unlike containers containing strange liquids, and small lids. Sometimes I buy the 40 pound plastic containers with handles, and snap lid. There are also 27 pound, and smaller containers with large lids. I just bought a large plastic kitty food container.
Greg

I actually have toilets in my mind for the extra large buckets. I mean pouring into the toilet.
Greg

r.org...
Are rivers in America so polluted? The main danger is faecal bacteria.