Lessons from Sandy

Page 13 of 13
What did you think when you sobered up?
I have an older version of that LED floodlight on my desk. I bought 2 of them but a drunk got hold of one and tried to bend the bottom to make the light straight. O_o
TDD
(Amazon.com product link shortened) Found these at Walmart. Near the checkout, and in camping. Different prices, too. Hang on a cup hook in the ceiling, and screw off the diffuser dome. Lights the entire room well enough to walk around.

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Another useful camping aid I have, is a saucer like, hang up led light. Multiple LEDs, and switch for combinations. Great light output, and good life from AA cells.
Greg
I've never known anyone who used one.
Must have worked OK, you mentioned it.
Another useful camping aid I have, is a saucer like, hang up led light. Multiple LEDs, and switch for combinations. Great light output, and good life from AA cells.
Greg
On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 18:19:23 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

My mini-mag lights do that trick. Twist the head to turn it on, keep turning and the reflector and lens comes off. The bulb stick up, high and proud. You can set it on the base to be an area light or hang from a bungee. It's a pretty precarious balance on the base but they sell a stabilizer and it's not hard to improvise one.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
I got some thing like this, can't remember where. The quality was awful, the generator was irritating, the light lasted about 10 minutes. The light spread was awful. I ended up giving it away.
On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 18:21:19 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

I got one from Harbor Fright when it was on cheap, cheap sale. Liked it so well I went back for three more. I've used it enough to trust it as the long term light source in my BOB.
The only complaint I can make is that it has a 1 LED and a 3 LED option. I can't tell them apart by intensity or light pattern. All in all, very happy with it.
On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 13:47:22 -0700, Winston_Smith

I've never understood the attraction of those things. They put out lousy light and are a pain to use. Batteries today last 10 years on the shelf. Why not just buy batteries and rotate them every few years so your BOB always has fresh ones? I don't think the apocalypse will be longer then the battery shelf life and if it is you'll have more things to worry about then whether you stockpiled batteries versus used a crank lantern.
I like the palm phaser lights, they don't give me carpal tunnel syndrome, too badly.
You're right, that some good batteries and a LED light or two make sense. NiMH cells and solar charge also make sense.

I've never understood the attraction of those things. They put out lousy light and are a pain to use. Batteries today last 10 years on the shelf. Why not just buy batteries and rotate them every few years so your BOB always has fresh ones? I don't think the apocalypse will be longer then the battery shelf life and if it is you'll have more things to worry about then whether you stockpiled batteries versus used a crank lantern.
On Sat, 03 Nov 2012 15:41:47 -0700, Ashton Crusher wrote:

They will last a few years until you use them. Then you are down to no more than a few tens of hours at best.
I assume you are in the home repair group, not the survival group. Stromin' hangs out here and just cross posts to other assorted groups when he wants some extra attention, so my reply was really to my group.
A BOB (bug out bag) should have several levels. At least preps in general should. Technically, in it's original meaning, a BOB is just to support you while you get to a pre-planed safe place. A three day or week long hike if everything else fails and then it's used up and it's done it's job.
The term BOB has come to mean a lot of different things to different people. Let's talk preps in general and then I'll say that I apply as much of that to the BOB as practical.
I think in terms of three time frames. Short duration, a few days, the classic BOB. Besides it's classical use for bugout, mine is also a three day bag - ride out a storm or power burp where you are. Or maybe just give you amenities if a chemical spill makes you evacuate for a day or two. What you say about flashlights and batteries are perfectly good in that situation.
Second level is long duration. Things are going to recover but it's going to be a long slog before it does. For that I have long burning candles in a windproof lantern (google "UCO candle lantern") which will give me a few weeks of light if carefully Sheppard.
The third level is the forever bugout. It ain't coming back, deal with it. No more batteries, no more candles. At least not until you get something going to make them. Still need light. Take more if you can; you should have your retreat stocked, but s*** happens.
Technology was a great tool in the beginning. Now it's useless. No fuel, nothing with a predictable and limited use life is still available. Sure the wind up will wear out if it doesn't break. But once a particular design/specimen is tested and proven, the odds are it will work without input for a very long time. If you settle down at night and live by the sun, you only need a little light and for short periods. The windup is one solution.
Another is a small solar panel with rechargeable batteries and a small led light bar. That's good until the batteries won't charge anymore, which can easily be years with good quality rechargeables.
Every thing in a BOB should be multiple use and there should be multiple ways to fill each need. If things have truly hit the fan, you want belt and suspenders and a length of stout cordage too.

Your assessment of possible risks and ours are different. So be it. The odds are diminishingly small. You have decided to take the risk, some won't.
And yes, we would have a great many things to worry about. Isn't it nice to have the obvious covered so you can get on with it?
Winston_Smith wrote:

Speaking from experience, the UCO candle lantern will also give you a hell of a mess to clean up if you leave it in your pack inside a vehicle in the summer.