Learning electrical work ...

Page 2 of 2

If you have a broad band connection, try this one. http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=installing%20track%20lights&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS291US291&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wv #

Not sure if that video will be much help. I quote:
"If your ceiling already has an electrical box, you can install a track light adaptor on top of it. If it doesn't have an electrical box, you'll need to put one in. Go to your home improvement center for help." That kind of leaves the OP right where I expect he is now - still looking for some hands-on help.

Yep... :)
Of course, the other time-tested way is to find some coworker or other friend or acquaintance that does have some diy'er experience and offer to buy a few beers and a burger (or whatever floats the particular boat) and get them over for an afternoon or a weekend...
That works pretty well particularly if the OP has some other skill set that has some bartering power.
When first out of school and at first job there were about a dozen of us who did everything from the single room update to contracting/ building a couple of full houses and about all steps in between as a cooperative effort since we were all young and mostly broke...that migrated into the longer term sidelight work a three of us did that I've referred to here previously of the restoration/rehab of the antebellum residences in the older city neighborhood that was being reclaimed by the young professionals at the time.

OP is original person, I guess. If yes, that's me. And yes, you guys are right. I so dearly wish I had been in the same boat -- fresh out of college and doing experiments on my own, for survival. Somehow, I got engaged into Engineering and Programming. That does make me really happy, but I miss these DIY experiences. But I am willing to learn now and have slight glimmer of hope. I guess it is better to leave "something to be longing for".
Speaking of bartering -- yes, I can teach someone programming for two things -- basic electrical and basic woodworking -- one step at a time :)
Regards, Kedar

Check out the Building Education Center in Berkeley, CA, their web site is www.bldgeductr.org. Where in the Bay Area are you located?
Cheers, Wayne
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 11:16:00 -0800 (PST), Kedar Mhaswade

Get some books from the library. One can learn on their own if they study. Track lighting is not all that hard. The box should tell you how to mount the fixture itself. All you need is a source of power at the desired location, which means installing a box, some romex to the box, and likely a switch near a door. Get some books on basic wiring.
Note: You can buy track lighting that screws to the ceiling, and has a plug in cord with a switch on the cord itself. Then there is no actual wiring, just screw the fixture in place using the included instructions, and plug it into an outlet. You'll probably want to attach the cord to a few clamps of some sort so it dont hang in your face. All you really need is a screwdriver to do this.

I guess so, but all I need is courage. I actually got the Basic Wiring book by Popular Mechanics from the Santa Clara library. It is a good book indeed.
But, one of the first things they say is about "permit" and voiding the insurance of the house if any mishap "can be linked to faulty wiring you've made". Now, I know I should not be worrying about this, but should I really not worry about this?
I "fully understand" dpb's advice that at some point, I have to make my hands dirty. But I should make them dirty the right way, I believe. That's why I think I will do the SJ university course for electrician first.
Yes, call me a rather timid fellow :)
Regards, Kedar