Le Nose di Figaro

Curious smells...

I took a bubble bath (one of my guilty pleasures) with this stuff that smells like those Jolly Rancher Apple candies. The next day, that similar smell was coming from the area of my basement where the pipes for the house are.

I'm curious about venting. Should there be some sort of vent down there or should it go up and out the roof?

Thanks

Reply to
dougga

Most plumbing codes call for venting out the roof in an area not likely to circulate into a nearby open window (YMMV). Your observed odor test logically means there is a problem. It may be a broken vent stack, a failed clean out cover, or similar problem. It could also be a simple thing like a floor drain trap gone dry. Whatever, having sewer gasses loose in the house is not a pleasant scenario, so do a thorough system check to the extent that you can, and then call in a pro for repairing the venting as necessary. You may be opening a can of worms, so get proper estimates, etc. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst