Lawnmowing question

Page 1 of 2
I have a decent Honda self drive mower with a bagger. The grass seems not to all go into the bagger, but leaves trails behind the mower, which I have to rake up. I have checked underneath, and all the passages are clear. Should I power wash it really good to get some of the surface crud off it? Is this normal? Is there something to set in there that I'm not setting. If I take the bag off, there is a flap that comes down, and I guess would mulch everything. But then, I think I'd just have more cut grass to rake.
Steve
On 10/19/2011 5:36 PM, Steve B wrote:

Did it do this when it was new?

I agree. I had a Honda and it was the best mulcher, cutting it into really small pieces. Mowing once a week during peak season I had no problem leaving the grass. I think if you want to rake you definitely don't want to mulch.
On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 15:09:33 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

I have a fairly high-end Honda. I end up, about once a year, bagging the clippings. Often, it's the first mowing of the season, since I leave it fairly long. The mulcher is better, but the bagger works fine. I've never had to rake.
On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 14:36:57 -0700, "Steve B"

If you are bagging go clockwise. Mulching counterclockwise.

Wouldn't that depend if you are in the Northern or Southern hemisphere? I never really thought about it, but will try to be sure this next mowing. Think I'm going to clean under the deck, as well as touch up the blade.
Steve
On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 16:11:19 -0700, "Steve B"

More important is the time of day. Once the sun passes its apex at noon, you have to mow from the opposite side. I've learned to get all the grass cutting done early or wait until late afternoon to avoid problems.
Ever see how the ball fields have stripes in the grass? The mow the even rows in the morning, odd rows in the afternoon.
On 10/19/2011 5:28 PM, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

LMAO!! what if he does straight lines (the white way) and goes back and forth?
--
Steve Barker

I do overlap, in fact I have to, or the mower chokes and dies. And if I leave all that grass on there, it looks bad, and starts to mold. We're talking big wads here.
Steve

If you have big wads, perhaps you aren't mowing often enough.
In any case, you can always go over the lawn again which will chop up the wads and either bag the clippings or mulch them depending on how you have your mower set up.
On 10/19/2011 4:36 PM, Steve B wrote:

leaving the clippings is good for the lawn. just remove the back and mow.
--
Steve Barker
On 10/19/2011 8:10 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

backg. jeeeze.
--
Steve Barker

Back = the clippings deflector. It goes in place of the bag. jeeze.
Harry K

My Honda is an antique with a big plastic plug that goes into the discharge hole for mulching. Be sure there isn't one in place on yours.
Then power wash the bag.
Jim
Steve B wrote:

Clean the fabric or canvas part of the bag so that allows more airflow.
The mower blades generate airflow which carries the grass into the bag or container. This air must be able to freely pass into and then out of the bag/container.
Over time, grass debris and dirt will accumulate in the fabric/mesh/canvas part of the container, reducing air-flow capability.
And yes, I also bag my grass because cut grass clippings actually don't contain a lot of nutrient value and contain a lot of carbon. Accumulation of cut clippings causes thatch buildup which absorb and then release rainfall (as opposed to allowing the rain to be absorbed directly into the soil - a problem in hot summer months when rainfall can be sparse).
The thickest, healthiest and luxuriant lawns are those where the clippings are bagged.

Long grass needs less water to keep it healthy. My mower is set at the second-highest setting all summer. I'll go out in a week or two, after it's completely dormant, and mow it down a notch or two.
On Oct 28, 10:43pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Dunno if my method is good for the lawn or not. I like to mow very low for the first time in the sping. Gets rid of all the dead stuff, leaves that didn't get mulched, etc. Usually mow with on the middle settings so I don't have to mow as often. But then I live in the country so the "perfect lawn" is not one of my concerns :).
Harry K

It's better to get rid of a lot of the dead stuff in the fall, IMO. The grass can then be left alone in the spring until it's got a good start. Taller grass retains more moisture and reduces the chances of weeds getting a foothold. "Perfect" is relative, here. A nice healthy lawn is easier to take care of in the long run. ...assuming, of course, that there is some actual dirt for it to grow in.

Clean the underside of the deck. Then, make sure the blade is sharp and not installed upside down. TomC

Try it without bag. Greg