Lawnmower; Putting Away For the Winter ?

Page 2 of 2

Either way should be fine. If you leave the gas and staboil in , double the ammount of staboil. I have a 5 kw generator and ran it for about 30 minuits the first time. Drained the gas from the tank and then ran it dry. Put it up for about 3 years, filled the tank back up and it fired off on the second pull. I forgot about running it for about 6 months one time and did not have any staboil in the tank. Had to clean out the carborator. Did that twice. Now I put staboil in every can of gas when I fill up the can and have not had any more problems with tany of the small engines. I usually put it in the can when I leave the house and it gets mixed up as I fill the gas can.
Robert11 wrote:

I've done all three, A, B, and C (do nothing) and never had a problem. I think in general lawnmowers don't suffer too much because they are stored over the cold winter. Snowblowers on the other hand sit idle over the hot summer so you have more gasoline evaporating... and more varnish/sludge build up. Most of the time I turn off the gas valve and run the mower and the generator until they run out of gas... but not always.
One more tidbit, if emptying old stale gasoline out of anything, please don't dump it out. Pour it into your car where it will be so diluted that your car will never know the difference.

I have a gasoline trimmer, chainsaw, blower, weed wacker, chipper/shredder, two lawn mowers, and a small rototiller. I use Stabil in all of these and recommend this method over running the engine dry. Engines often start on first pull in the spring.
Phisherman wrote:

I run them dry, including choking them as they die to get the last gas.
I just started a mower that I hadn't used in 3 years on the first pull.
So I guess that works also.

I just scrape the grass off the bottom of my 2 mowers , clean them up a bit and put them in the garage...Weedwacker and chainsaw the same...The non-mowing season is ONLY 6 months long in the snowbelt and less than that down south...Not a YEAR...Gas SHOULD stay good for that short a period of time....JMHO....
Do you stab the oil in the front, or is it backstabbed oil?
What is Staboil, anyhow? And do I want to know, or will I get stabbed?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/default.aspx
STA-BIL is a fuel stabilizer which prevents gas from rotting for up to 12 months.
I've heard of Stabil. Used it before. Is that related to stab oil?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 21:33:29 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Bzzzzt.
Incorrect
On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 06:44:04 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

prevents the "oils" from going rancid.
On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 20:33:44 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Here is a brief description of CAS#64742-47-8, ONE of the significant ingredients.
This is a mixture of C10-C14 naphthenes, iso- and n-paraffins. Neither the concentration of aromatics nor of hexane is greater than 0.1 % by volume. Depending on the raw material and the production processes, the composition and physical properties of this solvent can vary considerably. The symptoms of chemical pneumonitis do not become manifest until a few hours or even a few days have passed. Exxsol D70 / D80, Shellsol D70, Hydrosol P 200, among others, are trade names.
It has many other ingredients. It is not "just" any one thing. It is a formula.
On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 06:44:04 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

this chemist, is BHT
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

StaBil claims it's 95% mineral oil and 5% secret ingredients.

Lotsa funny guesses!
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

It's the secret formula used by Coca-Cola.
TDD
On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 21:36:55 -0500, The Daring Dufas

BINGO!
Robert11 wrote:

There's usually a few times I mow in the winter, so it doesn't sit idle for more than three or four months. I just top it off and go.
Jon