Lawn Question Re Moss Killer With: "Potassium Soaps Of Fatty Acid"

Hello,
Lawn is in reasonable shape, but areas of Moss. Live in New England.
Bought a container of a liquid Moss killer (goes on hose end)that has as it's (only) active ingredient something called: Potassium Soaps Of Fatty Acid".
Question: Is it safe if some of the spray gets on healthy grass ?
And would also like to ask:
Soil, via a ph test, showed that it is quite acidic. If I put down the limestone granules, is this also safe on healthy grass ?
Any caveats to it's use, etc. ?
Thanks, B.

Don't know what the stuff does to moss but I suspect it is just an expensive way to reduce acidity. I use limestone myself.
Bob wrote:

What does the package say about grass or other plants? Is the stuff sold for use on lawns, or is it for roofs, walks, etc? There's no way from what you told us that we can know what you bought.
Limestone is fine on grass.

Doesnt moss grow in dense shade, is that what you have. Maybe you should be working with what the area supports and plant accordingly and it wont be grass.
On 4/23/2010 11:20 AM, Bob wrote:

More than you ever wanted to know at http://tinyurl.com/29vuwow
Don
On 4/23/2010 9:17 PM, IGot2P wrote:

use it instead.
Bob wrote:

Hell, if it's green and doesn't need to be cut every week, I'll keep it not kill it!

Potassium Soaps Of Fatty Acid. This is the original "soap". You make it by boiling fat with potash. The fat hydrolyzes, yielding fatty acids in their potassium salt form. It's used in cleaning oneself, clothes, dishes, ec. The more modern detergents mimick its properties, and sometimes improve them.
NOTE: Fatty acids, especially the saturated C18 stearic acid, are the preferred fuel for mitochondria, the cells' powerplants. The heart is especially fond of them as fuel. Moreover, candles are made of stearic acid. So, for emergencies while camping, carry candles, the real ones. If necessary you can light them, or eat them.
--
Best regards
Han
Bob wrote:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5569693_kill-moss-garden.html
Of course, you could take advantage of existing conditions and grow moss and lichens....I think they make gorgeous gardens: http://www.thegardenhelper.com/mosscare.html http://www.mossacres.com /
It might be worth a call or a visit with your local extension service to see it there is a grass variety more suited to your soil.
Some moss and lichens, a nice old rotten stump, few rocks, some ferns and hostas........better than grass :o)