Lansky Sharpening System

Got one as a gift. (Amazon.com product link shortened)64649605&sr=8-1&keywords=lansky
This "system" simplifies the man-of-the-house duty of sharpening knives and things.
And the Lansky gets these things brutally sharp!
The trick/technique behind the device is seemingly in its guaranteeing of a consistent, perfect angle of the sharpened edge. The system itself provides four angles: 1) Heavy-duty tools like an axe, 2) Utility knives such as a pocket knife or ordinary kitchen knife, 3) Finer edge such as used for filleting, and 4) Super-fine (think razor blade).
Coupled with these four angles, the system comes with a variety of hones, from very coarse to very fine. Other sets of hones include stones for serrated edges and diamond dust stones.
Anyway, after setting up the knife in the knife holder, about five minutes with three different hones, will result in a fine, sharp tool.
If you're looking for something better than a short trip to the bench grinder, I recommend the Lansky.
As a plus, your current squeeze will be ever so grateful!
(Lansky has videos and demos at their web site - http://lansky.com/ )
On 3/30/2013 9:45 AM, HeyBub wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)64649605&sr=8-1&keywords=lansky

But wait, there's more!
The kit includes a "precision-engineered" knife clamp and "specially formulated" honing oil.
If we order in the next 10 minutes will they throw in a set of those chef knives that you can cut concrete with?

and

What? No, "We'll give you a second one FREE (after you pay extra of course)".
Harry K
And watch us use the same knife (after camera scene change) to thin slice tomatos. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
If we order in the next 10 minutes will they throw in a set of those chef knives that you can cut concrete with?

If I got those "chef's knives you can cut concrete with..", my wife would take that as a slur on her cooking and baking skills The last time I tried using appropriate tools in the kitchen, I was in the doghouse for about a month, after I tried using a hammer and chisel on her brownies So thanks. but no thanks..

Actually, the Lansky system is not one of those As Seen On TV rip-offs. I've had one for many years and, assuming you want to take the time to set it up and use it, it does a fantastic job on all sorts of knifes. There are different slots in the knife holder for different angles based on the type of edge you are looking for.
I can shave the hair off of my arm after sharpening a knife with the Lansky system.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Thanks for the second.
I did learn a couple of things in studying the instructions: One, oiling the stone is NOT for lubrication. Oil is to wash out the steel shavings from the stone itself. After a few drops of oil, and spreading it around, wipe it all off with a paper towel. The black coloring is the steel removed from the knife.
Second, the blade should move against the stone as if you were cutting something and never in the reverse direction. Moving the blade backwards against the stone, wide side to sharp side, puts "feathers" on the cutting edge which essentially dulls the knife.

(Amazon.com product link shortened)64649605&sr=8-1&keywords=lansky

I have a set someplace. Time consuming. Probably a good choice for a show knife.
Greg