Landsaping beams - the proper name is...

Hi, Does anyone know the proper name for the landscaping wood beam (4 x 4, maybe 4 x 5) that people use in landscaping projects? I see them all over the place, in people's yards, but HD only has the green pressure treated ones.

The ones I see already installed seem to be treated with a black/brown sealant (is it tar?) of some kind.

Reply to
MS

The name escapes me, but the brown ones are covered with creosote. I'm not sure if this is banned univerally yet, but it is banned in some areas and is not considered safe anymore. That's why HD and others only sell the pressure treated stuff.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Reply to
Don Young

I'd refer to them as "trestle ties" as you used to be able to buy them after use by the railroad.

Reply to
John Keiser

Around here (NH) they're called railroad ties

--JD

Reply to
j.duprie

Around here, as well (MO)

Mike

Reply to
AlienZen

Sounds like you are describing "railroad ties" .

Reply to
frank

Railroad ties are much larger than 4" X 4" or 4" X 5". What you are describing are "landscaping timbers."

Reply to
Bruce

Thanks, everyone!

Reply to
MS

The black/brown ones are called "railroad ties"; the green treated ones are called "landscape ties". You can get railroad ties both new and used (because railroads are always replacing theirs). The creosote treatment is a problem today, though, because it's increasingly considered a hazmat, and stores don't want the liability issues. The landscape ties offer a less rustic look and are probably more commonly found at big box home centers and such; the wood industry has long supplied them as a cleaner, neater alternative to the "original".

The modern lego-type landscape concrete blocks are much easier to install and are squeezing out the wood products, in my experience.

Reply to
Dan Hartung