Kwikset Smartkey

I am not a locksmith, just a home owner with locks. I have about 16 Kwikset Smartkey locksets or deadbolts installed in two houses, and have had no problems with them. It was easy to key them alike, and would be easy to re-key them if a key were lost. (I ended up with lots of extra keys to choose from!)
I have done searches on Smartkey and found a few critics of the system, but also reports that they were secure. One critic suggested they were bad because a locksmith could not use conventional methods to open them without a key.
Besides Smartkey being "unproven technology", what other drawbacks are there?
Fred

http://www.wired.com/2013/08/kwikset-smarkey-lock-vulns/
although I don't see this as being any less secure than a standard Kwikset lock, which is pretty easy to pick.
On 12/10/14 1:39 PM, Reggie wrote:

These questions is off-topic, but related to the comment above.
I'm looking to replace my front door and will need a lockset.
I see several brands offered at the "big home box" places, such as: - Kwikset - Baldwin - Schlage
All things being otherwise equal, is there one of these brand names I would do better with (over the others)?
Are there other mfrs. out there that I should be looking at?
Are the locksets sold by "standalone" locksmiths better than the "big box" offerings?
Thanks, - John
On 12/11/2014 5:26 PM, John Albert wrote:

Baldwin is more pricey, but better quality. Their customer service is also good.
Some Kwikset is OK. Schlage changed designs a few years back, I no longer like their resi locks. Schlage commercial is still good.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Wednesday, December 10, 2014 12:20:04 PM UTC-6, Fred McKenzie wrote:
Since you're cutting-out calling a tradesman...I'm sure you will hear a lot of negatives... I'm not sure how they compare in security...but most houses are forced open by breaking the door frame anyway!
On 12/10/2014 1:19 PM, Fred McKenzie wrote:

I saw a Youtube video put up by an amateur. He used a screw driver and pliers to unlock Smartkey in less than a couple seconds with no damage or evidence. This is your Smart key on screw driver. Any questions?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
bob_villa wrote:

Which is why several houses down in Memphis have custom made 3/32" thick strike plates with 4" screws into the framing . Several of my former home repair customers live in less-than-desirable neighborhoods , and were concerned about security . I machined and installed custom strike plates for them , one-piece units that had a minimum of 4 - 4" screws into the framing . Small chance of splitting that door frame with less than a battering ram .
--
Snag

On 12/10/2014 3:59 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Twenty some years ago, I started using three inch screws for deadbolt strike plates. Since then, some other companies have done much the same. Reinforcing strikes are excellent idea.

What positives are there?. That is, What makes a smartkey smart? It might well be something I want.

On Wednesday, December 10, 2014 9:00:44 PM UTC-6, micky wrote:

How ironic!
On 12/10/2014 10:00 PM, micky wrote:

My impression is that all the lock manufacturers have similar quality (minimal) to meet big box price points for residential customers. If you want a quality lock, it's going to have to be commercial or architectural grade. That said, Most break-ins are going to be a foot through the door or a rock through a window, so I wouldn't get too worked up about it.
On 12/11/14 9:36 PM, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:

Thanks for the response.
Also wondering, which is better way to go, or -- no difference: 1. Have a carpenter/remodeler replace front entrance (assume he'll install the lock hardware as well, after I buy it) or 2. Go to a locksmith and buy the hardware, and see if he has arrangements with one (or more) carpenters who will do the door job, after which the locksmith installs the hardware?
Whole entrance needs replacement (door, baseplate, all interior/exterior molding, hardware).
On 12/13/2014 11:18 AM, John Albert wrote:

Ideally, have the carpenter put in the door, and later the same day, the locksmith to install the locks. Some locksmiths will only install the locks they sell, so call ahead of time to be sure.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

My only "break in" was a chunk of concrete thrown through a door window. They could not get in because the deadbolt required a key on the inside as well. However, they were able to reach in and grab a small TV.

These are eye-openers! And I see there were other articles on lock-picking as well. If you want to learn how to get past a lock, just look on the web.
Fred