Kwikset Smartkey

Kwikset, some of the better gear is OK, avoid

> Smartkey, which is unproven technology.

I am not a locksmith, just a home owner with locks. I have about 16 Kwikset Smartkey locksets or deadbolts installed in two houses, and have had no problems with them. It was easy to key them alike, and would be easy to re-key them if a key were lost. (I ended up with lots of extra keys to choose from!)

I have done searches on Smartkey and found a few critics of the system, but also reports that they were secure. One critic suggested they were bad because a locksmith could not use conventional methods to open them without a key.

Besides Smartkey being "unproven technology", what other drawbacks are there?

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

although I don't see this as being any less secure than a standard Kwikset lock, which is pretty easy to pick.

Reply to
Reggie

Since you're cutting-out calling a tradesman...I'm sure you will hear a lot of negatives... I'm not sure how they compare in security...but most houses are forced open by breaking the door frame anyway!

Reply to
bob_villa

I saw a Youtube video put up by an amateur. He used a screw driver and pliers to unlock Smartkey in less than a couple seconds with no damage or evidence. This is your Smart key on screw driver. Any questions?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Which is why several houses down in Memphis have custom made 3/32" thick strike plates with 4" screws into the framing . Several of my former home repair customers live in less-than-desirable neighborhoods , and were concerned about security . I machined and installed custom strike plates for them , one-piece units that had a minimum of 4 - 4" screws into the framing . Small chance of splitting that door frame with less than a battering ram .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Twenty some years ago, I started using three inch screws for deadbolt strike plates. Since then, some other companies have done much the same. Reinforcing strikes are excellent idea.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What positives are there?. That is, What makes a smartkey smart? It might well be something I want.

Reply to
micky

How ironic!

Reply to
bob_villa

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

These questions is off-topic, but related to the comment above.

I'm looking to replace my front door and will need a lockset.

I see several brands offered at the "big home box" places, such as:

- Kwikset

- Baldwin

- Schlage

All things being otherwise equal, is there one of these brand names I would do better with (over the others)?

Are there other mfrs. out there that I should be looking at?

Are the locksets sold by "standalone" locksmiths better than the "big box" offerings?

Thanks,

- John

Reply to
John Albert

Baldwin is more pricey, but better quality. Their customer service is also good.

Some Kwikset is OK. Schlage changed designs a few years back, I no longer like their resi locks. Schlage commercial is still good.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My impression is that all the lock manufacturers have similar quality (minimal) to meet big box price points for residential customers. If you want a quality lock, it's going to have to be commercial or architectural grade. That said, Most break-ins are going to be a foot through the door or a rock through a window, so I wouldn't get too worked up about it.

Reply to
Arthur Conan Doyle

My >

These are eye-openers! And I see there were other articles on lock-picking as well. If you want to learn how to get past a lock, just look on the web.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

Thanks for the response.

Also wondering, which is better way to go, or -- no difference:

  1. Have a carpenter/remodeler replace front entrance (assume he'll install the lock hardware as well, after I buy it) or
  2. Go to a locksmith and buy the hardware, and see if he has arrangements with one (or more) carpenters who will do the door job, after which the locksmith installs the hardware?

Whole entrance needs replacement (door, baseplate, all interior/exterior molding, hardware).

Reply to
John Albert

Ideally, have the carpenter put in the door, and later the same day, the locksmith to install the locks. Some locksmiths will only install the locks they sell, so call ahead of time to be sure.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon