Kohler Pro 24V-twin CV22S-75518 electrical problem

I have a Craftsman/Kohler Pro 24V-twin lawn tractor. Model CV22S Spec 75518 Family WKHXS-6742GB 1995-1999.
I have been able to put my battery charger on the battery and I can start the mower. My problem is, when I remove the either of the jumper cables from the mower battery, the mower stops. Does anyone have an idea of what would be causing this. I have checked the battery and it is good.
How have you checked the battery?