kitchenaid superba refridegerator - big problems

We moved into a home with Kitchenaid Superba Side by Side Refridgerator and the unit loses temurature on the refridge side. We have had numerous service calls for the same problem under warranty. We have had parts replaced numerous times. We have since taken out an extended warranty through Kicthen Aid and have had about 6 service calls for the same issue. We think our unit is a lemon.

Kitchen Aid has brought out three different service agencies and each time the unit fails they want the last service company to come back and fix it again. When this fails, they want a different company to come out. It's obvious that our unit is a lemon and Kitchenaid always says, just one more call and it will be fixed. I know that there is a lemon policy that says that more than three times to fix the same problem is cause for them to provide a replacement unit. Problem is that it seems this is a never ending process of sending out a serviceman.

Each time the unit starts to fade, we stop buying groceries for several weeks. Then we are often left without a fridge over the weekend or longer with small children. How do you work with Kitchenaid to make them hold their end of the extended service contract?

PS they have a clause for spoiled food of $200 per calander year. What do I do if the unit continues to fail and we have more claims than this?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Jeff

Well if you hired THE Turtle , it would be fixed, If you brought in Stormin Mormins, th Chris Youngs nudity side show or Daves th Hack`s Repairs [ for a $ ] in Illinois , sure , it is still broke. Work with the Co and a better Tech ...

Reply to
m Ransley

How about getting on the phone with them and climb the supervisor chain until you have a new refrigerator sitting in your kitchen?

Make sure you get each person's name and extension as your calls will undoubtedly be "accidentally dropped" along the way; it makes it much easier to pick up from where you last were.

Sad to say, the squeaky wheel does get the grease.

Reply to
John Harlow

This is Turtle.

The quickest way to get it fix for good is start writting up the food lost each time and hold their feet to the fire one time and there will be a new refrigerator sitting there afterwards. When it fails, Write up exactly what was lost in the freezer and refigerator and when the service man comes to look at it have him sign off on you loosing it. The service man should have the form to fill out or tell him to bring one with him. Fill it out and have $200.00 worth of food on it for them to pay for and there will be a new refrigerator sitting there afterwards. I have seen Crosley get hit with food lost one time and they paid it but when they got hit the second time the company told the service man to tell them to fill out a replacement form and told them where to pick up a new one. The best side by side refrigerators only cost about $212.00 to produce and they will not start paying $200.00 for food with this $212.00 replacement cost. I have seen these company take one food hit but when it comes a second one. BOOM New refrigerator in it's place. Servicemen are cheap at about $35.00 to look or check it out but $200.00 food lost is a killer. Now the $200.00 provision is for smaller refrigerator but if I remember right there is a $400.00 allotment for the bigger ones. I know the 25 ci. ft. chest type freezers are $400.00.

Now i can tell you that it seem it's the shell liner leak doing this and they try to run the clock out on the contract by just gasing it back up with cheap R-134-A and hope they make it. Here is another secret here. If there is a shell leak inside the shell of the refrigerator. The serviceman is suppose to write it up as a UNREPAIRIABLE REFRIGERATOR. The only way to repair shell leaks is to replace the whole refrigerator. Kitchen Aid well knows this and if you jump them on it they will usely give up and replace it right then. When the service man comes back hit him up and ask about refilling it with freon and not fixing the shell leak. See if he will tell the truth about writting it up. If he writes down there shell leak. they automaticly replace the box. The reason service men don't like to write it up like this is it cuts down on calls and may piss Kitchen Aid off and call someone else next time. Kitchen Aid and all the manufactors know about what is going on and just go along to save money.

Read the provisions of the replacement of food lost and lay it to them and see a new refrigerator appear soon.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE