kitchen fire extinguisher on youtube

Page 1 of 2
I've no experience with this third unit, but the video looks interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yERRltDE1Lg

Oil on the stove fires are rough, because there is so much heat stored in the oil. Tough to put the fire out, and have it stay out.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 26/09/2013 8:39 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Actually, it's very easy. Just put a lid on the pot or pan, turn the heat off and let it cool.
You know, that does work in so many cases. I'm glad some one out there still has common sense. Not many "kids these days" know how to do much that is simple.
On 9/26/2013 10:35 AM, Gil wrote:

+1
I've done it many times. Once my wife got in a huff because I yelled at her for carrying a burning broiler outside. "Why didn't you just close the oven, says I". "Well, every time I opened it, it flared up!". "Well, don't do that!"
I've not tried it, but my guess is that carrying flaming "whatever" is very dangerous.

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 15:33:46 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Particularly when opening a door. The flames tend to come back at your. Really dumb.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

The easiest way to extinguish an oil fire in a pot is to use an item that you already have. Turn off the burner and put the lid on the pot. No lid? Use any non-flammable cover like another pot or pan. Anything flat and is larger than the pot. You just have to cut off the oxygen to the fire.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

Sorry to repeat what others have said. I don't type very fast and those responses were not posted when I started my response.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 9/26/2013 11:01 AM, willshak wrote:

Sounds easier than trying out a $45 spray can that might not work when you need it.
On 9/26/2013 10:58 AM, willshak wrote:

On 9/26/2013 11:05 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'd consider the clean-up mess too caused by the dry chemicals. I have an extinguisher near the kitchen if tried and true remedy of lid and turning off heat fail or fire were to spread.
OTOH, I know of a guy whose clothes caught fire in a laboratory and rather than mess up the lab with the safety shower went outside to use a hose. He was severely burned.
Chemistry student was severly burned in a lab fire when chain on safety shower broke. Always best to test your equipment routinely. When I worked in a lab we had to test the shower monthly and sign a tag that we had done so.
That's no good. I agree, the equipment tests are important. Bucket under the shower. Have a worker on a ladder to push the valve back up. Little or no water damage.
On 9/26/2013 12:46 PM, Frank wrote:

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 12:46:55 -0400, Frank

I can imagine a scenario where the shower was routinely tested but in the panic of a fire the chain was yanked hard enough to break it. That said, I've seen many safety showers that probably have never been tested since they were installed (all sorts of stuff stored under them).
On 9/26/2013 10:46 AM, Frank wrote:

I worked in a lab that had a safety shower. It was mostly for chemical spills (like acid). Some one decided to test it using a wastebasket to catch the water (there was no drain). The shower had a valve like a commercial-building toilet - it dumped far more water than the wastebasket held.
----------------------- The state fair has a demonstration of putting water on an oil fire. A pan with oil is left on a stove burner until it gets real hot and ignites. Then water is poured on it (with a real long stick). The fireball is quite impressive.
On 9/27/2013 1:00 PM, bud-- wrote:

Ours had handles. Squirt in a bucket was all we had to do.
Sorry to hear that. I guess a bit of mop water on the floor isn't so bad after all?
On 9/26/2013 12:43 PM, Frank wrote:

I have had the pleasure of being associated with both of the types of things that can happen with a oil fire that have been mentioned in this thread, once directly, and once by way of a story I was told just the other night.
A few years ago I was talking to a neighbor in her back yard. I was facing her kitchen window, she was facing away. Suddenly we heard beeping and she said "Is that a smoke detector?" I replied, "Yes it is. Your kitchen is on fire!"
We ran inside to find a frying pan on fire. While she ran around with her thumb up her butt looking for a fire extinguisher, I calmly grabbed the cover that was right next to the pan and covered it. Problem solved....other than the scorched cabinets above the stove.
Just the other night a different neighbor told me what his father-in-law had done when he had a grease fire in a frying pan. He tried to carry the burning pan through the house to the back door to throw it in the backyard. Unfortunately he spilled burning oil in a number of spots, which spread the fire and did extensive damage to the house. Luckily he just kept going out of the house once he realized that he was trailing fire. No one was hurt, but the family room needed a lot of repair.
You're a good neighbor.
As to the guy carrying the pan, he is fortunate not to have poured the flaming oil on himself.
On 9/26/2013 5:10 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

---