Fire extinguisher refill

A bit OT as it's not DIY but does anyone know approximately how much it costs to refill a 5kg CO2 extinguisher?

I found an empty one the other day in good condition. I don't really need a CO2 extinguisher but the magppie in me hates to see it going to waste. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Check the date on top of the cyclinder, before you fill it.

Regards.

Micky

Reply to
Micky Savage

Definitely - you'll be lucky to find anyone who'll fill it if it's out of test (out of date). And getting it retested costs more than the Chinese extinguishers that are all over the place now.

Reply to
PCPaul

In message , Tim Downie writes

my extinguishers

ask them

Whether the extinguisher itself is useable or not (they have an expiry date too) is a different question

Reply to
geoff

I took one to a place in Glasgow ( M&S Fire Protection)a few months ago but it was black so they wouldn't refill it without testing it and repainting it( must be red now) and that would have cost almost as much as buying a new one which I did . It was either £29 or £39 and that was a 2KG exting'r.

Reply to
fictitiousemail

July 04. How often do they need tested?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Weight test and check pressure is ok every year. Back to manufacturers every

10 years.
Reply to
MikeS

I have never understood why all extinguishers were made red.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Originally they were coloured;

Water = Signal Red Foam = Cream Dry powder = French Blue Carbon dioxide = CO2 Black Wet chemical = No F Class Class D powder = French Blue

Don.

Reply to
Don

We know. That's why Dave was wondering why they're now all red.

(I believe it's a European harmonisation thing.)

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

Presumably so I can pick up a fire extinguisher and point it an electrical fire and see the water hit it, just as it snuffs my life out. These days, I walk away from fires and I have fought some big ones when I was younger, but only because I knew the colour code.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

----- Original Message ----- From: "Pete Verdon" Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y Sent: Monday, December 15, 2008 8:50 PM Subject: Re: Fire extinguisher refill

I read is remark in the past tense, not the present ;-)

Don

Reply to
Don

The message from Dave contains these words:

They claim it's so that people can identify a fire extinguisher !

The same crazy logic which demands that there should be water fire extinguishers available in locations where the only conceivable risk is of an electrical fire, and now demands that the water and powder extinguishers should be so similar that the only difference is in the colour of the label.

Mad, mad, mad.

Reply to
Appin

Water fire extinguishers are provided in corridors etc, for tackiling office paper fires through the door. Inside offices with, eg, computers, there should be CO2 fire extinguishers. The colour coding still exists on the label and water fire extinguishers are fairly easily discernible from CO2 ones but the change from whole body colouring to the label seeems to be universally condemned as...

even if more red was needed to signify it was a fire extinguisher

Reply to
Bob Mannix

The message from "Bob Mannix" contains these words:

I was thinking of the sanctuary area of a church. No candles. No smoking going on. Only reasonably conceivable risk would be from electrical sources.

Reply to
Appin

In message , Appin writes

you forgot burning bushes, bolts of lightning etc

Stock in trade for your average deity

Reply to
geoff

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Tim Downie" saying something like:

On this very subject I came across mention of filling it yourself, so it can be DIY. Somebody here posted a link about filling CO2 cartridges and from that there was something else about fire extinguishers. Obviously, it wouldn't meet with any approval, but even a DIYd fire extinguisher is better than buggerall.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

unless an insco get involved, in which case there could be problems

Reply to
geoff