Kitchen disaster with cleaver

Page 2 of 2

Feeding those BONY necks to your pets??? (I thought you might be making turkey soup or something like that.)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

bones. And they only eat non-weight bearing bones (backs, wings and necks). I probably would be a bit nervous feeding them thighs or drumsticks. You'd be surprised how fast a carnivore can crunch up a chicken back. Plus I don't feed them unsupervised. I've been feeding them this way for 5 years. Google "species (or biologically) appropriate raw food." http://www.rawlearning.com/rawfaq.html http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm
It's a choice I made for my pets. I am comfortable with it but I understand that most people aren't.

What do the cats have to say about it? In the wild, they'll eat other organs, including brains, which contain vitamins they need.
Doug Kanter wrote:

The cat eats a complete product called Aunt Jeni's Home Made. There are bones in it but they are ground. http://www.auntjeni.com/homemade.htm#Ingredients
I adopted the cat 2-3 years ago at age nine. Given how finicky cats are it is a miracle he's eating any raw. I've tried to encourage him to gnaw on meaty bones but he won't. I was prepared for the possibility that he'd never eat raw and have to remain on cat food. (I consider pet food, junk food.) There are organ meats in the Aunt Jeni's. Most importantly, there is heart meat which contain Taurine which is essential for cats. The cat (and dogs) also loves this really disgusting stuff called Green Tripe. It is unprocessed stomach....with all the junk you'd find in the stomach of ruminant animals. The tripe that people eat is super clean. Green tripe smells awful.
Edwin wrote: > Interesting reading. Animals in the wild don't have cooking >>facilities so it makes a lot of sense.
And they don't eat any grain which is what dog food is largely made of. Any grain they get is from the stomach contents of their prey. Not that pugs have ever hunted down prey--now that is a ridiculous picture. But todays canines are extremely close to wolves, genetically. Just like we aren't that far from primates and our closer predecessors. I think it's human arrogance for humans to think they can feed dogs and cats better than what nature meant for them to eat.
More on topic... I am going to call the glass place tomorrow. I think I would like to replace it. Then I will buy a heavy end-cut butcher block type cutting board for my cleaver sessions.

I don't believe nature has any intent.
I think you mean cats and dogs evolved eating certain foods. Of course all recent evolution of cats and dogs includes eating whatever humans give them.

Interesting reading. Animals in the wild don't have cooking facilities so it makes a lot of sense.
wrote in message

I'm not concerned about them eating raw meat,it's just the bones,especially small bones like turkey necks. From nature TV shows I've watched,felines tear off the meat,and don't chew up the bones,first thing they eat is the entrails. Scavenger bids appear to get the carcass to clean up, or strong jawed carnivores like hyenas chew up the bones.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Actually wood is a great idea. The reason why I never used a cutting board (I've done this a dozen times before) is because the board bounces around as I chop.
And my kitchen cabinets are a honey colored maple. I will see if a local carpenter will make something for me.
Thanks
wrote in message

Call local lumber places (real lumber places, not the big home supply stores) and ask if they have ready-made butcher-block tops. They're intended for people who want to make them into tables, and choose their own legs. But, there's no reason you can't use them on your counter instead of adding legs. Pick one that's heavy enough to not bounce around, but small enough to be able to get it into the sink for cleaning. Normally, you'll want to treat them with something called "salad bowl finish", a food safe kind of stuff sold in small cans. The lumber place should be able to advise you.
I'd suggest calling places like Lowe's or Home Depot, but you'll die of old age before you get an intelligent answer on the phone. You just have to walk in and see for yourself what they've got.

I don't know, but I bet you they would know if they would do it.
And they'd know better than we who would do it if they wouldn't.
I would think the papery backing was supposed to have been removed, but if it didnt' bother you, heck then it's ok.
I have had people set a hot pan or lid on the countertop and explode a chip right out of the top. I have on several occasions done a nice cut out with a custom cutting board installed to hide the damage. It is convenient for the next time they have a hot lid. I suspect that your glass insert may have been from a similar incident, though it does sound quite large.
A brazillion pieces says it was tempered.
I have this piece of textured glass panel set into my Formica counter right next to my stove. I don't think it is regular glass...maybe tempered glass? Well, I was chopping up 30 pounds of raw turkey necks and the panel broke into a million pieces. (I sure will do it on a better surface next time.) Now I have to get this replaced. It was about 20 X 16 x 5/16 inches. The glass was clear but had a papery backing on it. It is surrounded by a frame of sorts, that held it into the hole cut into the Formica, which I was able to pull out.
So, all you repair people out there...Where do I get glass like this? Is there a technical name for it? There is a glass place not far from me. Would they do it or is this a special kitchen item?
Thanks for any advise offer, and happy holidays to all.
Bonnie in NJ
Bonnie Jean wrote: snip...

Don't worry about what sort of glass it was. By the act of destroying it you have already proved that glass is _not_ what you want in such a location. Besides, glass will ruin the edge of any knife in short order. If you really want a cutting/chopping surface in that location then a great substitute would be high-density polyethylene. Any plastic supplier will probably have it in stock or will be able to order it in short order. If you desire you can even order it online from various suppliers. One is:
http://thecuttingboardfactory.com /
I'm not connected with this company and have never dealt with them. I'm just offering them as an example.
On the other hand, if you need a place upon which to place hot pans without damage to the countertop a metal fabricator in your area can easily make a stainless steel, or some other metal, insert for the recess. It would still ruin a knife if you tried cutting on it but at least it wouldn't explode in the process.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
I have this piece of textured glass panel set into my Formica counter right next to my stove. I don't think it is regular glass...maybe tempered glass? Well, I was chopping up 30 pounds of raw turkey necks and the panel broke into a million pieces. (I sure will do it on a better surface next time.) Now I have to get this replaced. It was about 20 X 16 x 5/16 inches. The glass was clear but had a papery backing on it. It is surrounded by a frame of sorts, that held it into the hole cut into the Formica, which I was able to pull out.
So, all you repair people out there...Where do I get glass like this? Is there a technical name for it? There is a glass place not far from me. Would they do it or is this a special kitchen item?
Thanks for any advise offer, and happy holidays to all.
Bonnie in NJ
Well Cathi, that information was priceless to me. I believe that is exactly what I have (had). The frame, bolt and lugs are slightly different but this house was built 15 years ago and I've been here for 5. They must've changed that part slightly. But the measurement is perfect. I am going to get it. It looks like with a little caulk, I'll be back in business. I will buy a piece of heavy butcher block separately. I may be moving within the next year so I'll be able to take that with me.
Thank you so very much.
Bonnie
Lee & Cathi Thomas wrote:

Glad to be of help. I'm just surprised no one else knew what it was. Good luck - that web site has a greatl price on it also.
Cathi