Kitchen cabinet install: Coul I screw that up? Relaminate?

Moderatelt skilled DIYer here. HAve old 1970s cabinets in our kitchen. Wife wants to paint them (cost issue). I keep looking at them and thinking that replacing them could not be that hard. With the execption of the sink and counter top, they all seem pretty straightforward: plum, level, lots of shims, ledger board..
Even if I were to get the prefab ones you assemble yourself it would still look better than painted old cabients. Other alternative was to strip off old door and hardware, apply new laminate, buy new doors.
Anyone done a relaminate job that can give me an idea of cost relative to the assemble-yourself cabinets overall?
Thanks Todd

buy new cabinets the expense is not much more then re-facing existing cabinets. (about 20% difference)
the expense is in the doors / draws and hardware. which you would purchase anyway for re-facing.
a box is a box. but a new box is better.
C.A.