Kenmore Oven Error Code

Model no. 790 46802 991
This is actually a Whirlpool by the way.
We get an error code of F1 on the display. We are able to use the stove top, but the oven will not work.
Anyone know what this code means?
Thanks
dont_pick_up_the snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in message ...

Actually, it was made by Frigidaire for Sears as you can see in the table at the following link:
http://ng.appliance411.com/parts/sears.shtml

F-1 on Frigidaire built ranges usually indicates a problem in the electronic control but can *sometimes* (but rarely) also be caused by a problem in the oven sensor (which on your model should read about 1100 ohms when at room temperature) or its wiring circuit. If the oven sensor and its circuit checks out OK, the electronic control will likely need to be replaced to correct the condition.
On your model it could have used one of 3 different electronic controls depending on the colour. White is # 318019901, black is # 318019902 and biscuit # 318019903. Unfortunately, each looks to be about $240-$250. :(
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Frigidaire+range
=~~~~~~
On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 14:55:35 -0400, "Dan O."

Thanks for the help. You are right about it being a frigidaire. An oversight on my part.
We had the sears repairman to come by and he said it was a faulty computer chip that he was going to order and come back to install next week. Total bill for his trip was $384, and it will cost another 67 enxt week.
Do you happen to know if there is some sort of recall on this particular oven? Just last year it had a faulty switch which caused the top burners to cycle off and on at random times. That repair costed us around $225.
Btw, the oven is not old. It was bought 2001

So about $200 labour and service charge on top of the part which is required??

"Recalls" occur for safety related issues only. Neither the current condition nor your previous problem falls into that category AFAIK.
But no, I don't know of any "recalls" on your particular oven. You can find most current appliance recalls at the following link:
http://ng.appliance411.com/links/Recalls /
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Frigidaire+range
=~~~~~~
On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 22:43:19 -0400, "Dan O."

You got it. A complete total ripoff from Sears. The guy was here for about 20 min. The receipt showed approx 125 for labor and I think about 60 for the service call.
BTW, we will NO LONGER purchase Sears appliances. I now know why they are called "sears."

I'm surprised he charged you for just about everything 'up front'. Appliance service technicians in the 'real world' would never get away with that. *Maybe* a deposit on the part but even that isn't common.
JMO
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Kenmore+range
=~~~~~~
On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 14:18:11 -0400, "Dan O."

Well, my wife was at home when the trickster came to repair the oven. The MF got away with one, but he has left a black eye on the repair industry. Especially SEARS.
Sears has been slowly going down the toilet for years. If I can help it, then I will love to have the final flush.
Fair is fair!
Anyone know where there's a list of these error codes?
We just bought an old house with a Maytag CWE-900 wall oven mounted below the counter, with a separate cooktop above. (No manual available.)
The other night, we got an "F2" error. I think it was because I was using the broiler with the door closed, instead of slightly open.
Thanks in advance for any info on this.
dont_pick_up_the snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Hi,

Yes.... http://www.applianceaid.com/fault_codes.html http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&P6

You can probably get one from Maytag with your -full- model#.... http://www.applianceaid.com/phone.html#M

That can cause that yes, gets too hot.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (jeff) wrote:

Thanks, this is just what I needed.
Looks like there is some standardization among manufacturers, with "F2" meaning "oven too hot," as I expected..

Hi,
Some are getting things together to make them match and others seem to be doing there own thing.
F2 is often too hot.....sticky/stuck relay, bad oven temp sensor./....or door closed during broil like yours.
Had to take my oven apart the other day to fix the module, someone pushed to hard and broke the little plastic mounting tabs holding it in place. A lilttle ( a lot) of epoxy, put together and got an F2 (now that I think about it, may have been F4) but thought it was an F2 error. Anyway problem was the sensor connector to the module came off when bolting back in, took all apart, made sure was connected good, put back together and all worked.
After looking at how cheap the piece of S___ was built, I hope I can afford to go up in quality on the next house (would really like to by some of the german made units I saw when I was overseas a while back)
I always like to buy US, but when left with the cheap stuff here, well.
All about greedy shareholders wanting to squeeze every penny of profit out of a company any more, no pride in the products, no service, no cares anymore.
MC

MC wrote:

You mean to sell to all the people who go to home depot/lowes and Wallmart and costco?
Americans send a pretty strong signal that price beats - quality - the cost of destroying our american job market and economy - innovation and R&D.
If you can buy something from me for $300 or go down to the chain and get it for $250, where are you going?
Me? I employ local people, pay them enough to live on, insure them and try my hardest to keep my customers happy, because if not for them I'm in no business. The money I make, I and my employees spend in my town.
Walmart costs 1.5 local jobs for each created, puts a HUGE burden on local (tax paid) systems in emergency rooms, welfare, etc. If they piss off a customer or 20, so what? If business drops off, they'll just close the store and open one 20 miles away. After salary's and overhead, profits get shipped out. Work on displays, and whatnot is done centrally and completed displays and so forth are sent in on trucks to be rolled into place by $7/hr guys with most of a high school education behind them.
Was the word quality in that paragraph.
Sorry, it's been cancelled due to lack of interest.

I hear ya !
I am mainly down on the bigger corporate businesses that only care about making superioir returns for their investors (Most comapnies have in the mission statements these days), What a lot of crap.
I am finding myself going to the small business man on the good old town square, not as rushed, no migrains by the time I get home. There are a few smaller businesses that are just too laid back and not really outgoing for the customers but for the most part I enjoy doing business with the busniesses that are still individually or familiy owned as most of the ones that are just big enough to meet the needs are great.
People have all the right to live as prosperous as they can working for themselves, that is the american dream, and there are many smaller businesses that are incorporated but still individually run not the big shareholder run companies which is all about maximizing profits, not what the can use but as much as they can stuff in a bank account and not use!
If I wern't so against more goverment I would almost wish they would limit the size a corporation could be.
Anyway, to all the small (and maybe a some medium size) businesses, keep it going.