kenmore miser 10 gas hot water tank

For some reason the past 2 weeks our pilot light keeps going out,,we light it back up and the sometime later its out again,,we end up lighting 5-6 times a day,any suggestions on what it could be???? Kenmore Miser 10... 50 Gal Gas Hot Water Tank
thanks Larry

1) Thermocouple not in the pilot light flame or 2) defective thermocouple would probably be the 1st things to check.
Dan

replace thermocouple, clean burner area.
how old is the tank?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I think the tank is 17 years old it says oct 1990 in red on it,.. i just reaplace the thermocouple yesterday and cleaned the burner area still no help, ,keeps going out...
<snip>

Did you adust the pilot flame for size and proper impingement on the thermocouple? There is an adjusting screw on the gas valve for pilot flame size. HTH
Joe

control valves do fail, at 17 years just replace the tank. you got more than your moneys worth. mark the install date on the tank somewhere
On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 15:11:35 GMT, "hezf316 via HomeKB.com"

Go to your local hardware store and buy a new one. They have guys that will install it cheap.
deke wrote:

I havent got My moneys worth i just bought the house less than a year ago,, and i would go out and buy a new one but right now im out on disabilty from work.the house inspector said it was in great shape and it should last me another 5 years i guess he was wrong.
hezf316 wrote:

I dont know where the gas valve is to adjust anything,,the flame right know goes about a 1/2" over the burner is that good?