Keeping topsoil from washing away on clay

I am trying to plant grass over a spot that had to be dug up last fall to replace a pipe, the area is all clay.. I laid the topsoil yesterday then put seed and fertilzer down, but today a heavy rain storm washed away some sections of topsoi, and most likely the seed alsol. What do I need to do to keep the topsoil on long enough for the grass to start?
I would use hydraulic mulch, which is available at landscape suppliers, like Lesco. It's a cellulose product that comes in bags and is what's used to hydro seed. After it's wetted, it expands, holds moisture which is good for germination, and reduces erosion. That should work well unless you have a steep grade or other issues. Make sure you get the kind that is intended to be spread either with a drop spreader or thrown out on small areas by hand. The other type goes in hydro-seeding gear.
It's superior to the other solution, which is straw. I've always found weed seed contained in straw to be a problem. If you use that, you want straw that is weed free, but I have no idea how to really find a good source.

Would Home Depot have this stuff?
LB

We used to prepare and seed the area, then cover it with open-weave burlap sacks. Pin them down with sticks or pieces of wire. It provides good moisture retaining mulch and controls erosion better than anything I know. Grass sprouts right through the fabric which eventually decays. Don't know where you get them nowadays. Ours were mostly potato sacks (100 pounds?). Haven't seen one since I became a city boy. --- SJF
There are special plastic matts-screens avalaible. That and straw or burlap.
mikep187 wrote:

Sod.
snipped-for-privacy@notmine.com wrote:

Usually.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
mikep187 wrote:

If it is only a "spot", get some sod. If it is an area constantly washed out, consider shrubs or groundcover that will hold soil better.