Joining PVC Plastic Pipe Solvent Question

Hello:

Regarding the solvent (usually purple) that is used for bonding PVC and conduit plastic pipe together:

What's the best technique: coat just the male piece, or both pieces where they join ?

Thanks, B.

Reply to
Robert11

The best technique? Um, how about the one described in detail on the can? Maybe?

Reply to
kevin

What Kevin said. But a thin coat on the female side helps to ensure the coverage. Thicker on the male, as it'll get pushed away when joining. Tom

Reply to
tom

The purple liquid is primer that is used for PVC pipe, but is not needed for conduit. For conduit, it's best to use conduit cement, which is thick and gray. Read the label for application. Generally, it will require that the ends be clean and dry and that cement should be applied to both ends. Immediately join them. The male end should seat completely in the female end. Give a slight twist and hold for a couple of minutes. Wear gloves to protect yourself; cement is flammable.

Robert11 wrote:

Reply to
Mike Bruss

Clean both, primer both, glue both

Reply to
maradcliff

The BEST (strongest) PVC pipe joints ar made with:

primer on both, glue on both

using the clear light bodied glue

In 20 years of using this method I've never had a joint failure

the only two joint failures in all those years, were with the Red Hot glue (that blue crap)

I switched on one installation (thought the blue crap was better because all the pros use it)

Not better just faster (& more likely to fail)

cheers Bob

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Not the pro I learned from -- he taught me just as you've described, and it has "just worked" for me ever since.

Reply to
CJT

CJT-

My bad, when I said "pros"......... I should have said the hacks to throw sprinlker systems together SoCal.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

tried that blue junk once on several joints in the irrigation system on my parents farm, used on two inch main line. Luckily the section I used it on was above ground at the time, over half of the joints failed within a year or sooner. Like the pipe just blew out of the couplings. Never had a failuer yet using the clear glue.

Reply to
MC