jigsaw blade question

i am attempting to cut out a sink hole in my new laminate kithchen countertop. i have laid out the cutout on the top side and plan on drilling a half inch hole in each corner with a spade bit. the countertop guy said to cut the hole from the bottom because the jigsaw will not allow for a close cut next to the backsplash. the countertop guy also said to use an upcut jigsaw blade...dumb question time...does an upcut blade have the teeth facing up? the home depot kid did not know.should i use a finer teeth blade or coarse? wish me luck, if i screw this up mammasan will be massively upset! thanks cj

The saw blade will tear up the top side (laminate side) if you cut from the top,the teeth cut upwards.(standard blade) Cutting from underneath,you have more room for the jigsaw base against the back of the cabinet,because there's no backsplash taking up space.You don't care about chipping underneath,it will not be seen.

If cutting from underneath.Then the teeth will be cutting DOWN against the laminate,less tearout or chipping.

It cuts on the UPstroke.That is a standard jigsaw blade.

Fine teeth will damage the laminate less.

Get a scrap of laminated board,and test-cut with your saw, see what happens. Get a feel for the task before you chop up the good stuff.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Good idea. And, if he can't find a scrap, then mark off a MUCH smaller rectangle in the center of the bigger one, and practice on that area.
Well, try cutting a small section out of the middle 1st to make sure you have the blade selection and usage correct.
You have enough room for probably 4 practice holes at least, so practice before going 'live'!
Dave
I'd say fine tooth blade. Yes, upcut so that cutting action is toward laminate surface, instead of breaking off jagged chunks of it. Did they also tell you to tape over laminate along line of cut(also helps prevent shattering)? Use a 1 or 2" wide clear tape. Try to make sure there is good support fairly close to line of cut, say 1/2 to 1" away. And remember, the sink is going to hide minor flaws- it's the big ones you need to prevent. Measure twice, cut once.
Couple of thoughts:
1. Is counter top already installed? If not cut hole before installing. 2. I score the line on the top with a carpenters knife. This helps prevent breakout of the laminate. 3. I cut from the top down, after I have run my router with straight bit around the pre scored opening to groove the laminate. Make a fence to guid the router. I don't penetrate the laminate to the base just about half way through. Now drill your corner holes with 3/4" or 1" bit. 4. Place masking tape on top around the scored top. You run your jig saw on the tape so to prevent marring the surface top. Murphy's law says - a scrach will appear if you run the saw directly on the surface! 5. Wear a full face mask and cut your top out and finish file it. 6. Once the sink is installed it will look like a professional did it!
Good luck and have fun. Evon
Cutting from the bottom is OK - but not at my level of skill.
> i am attempting to cut out a sink hole in my new laminate kithchen > countertop. i have laid out the cutout on the top side and plan on > drilling a half inch hole in each corner with a spade bit. the > countertop guy said to cut the hole from the bottom because the jigsaw > will not allow for a close cut next to the backsplash. the countertop > guy also said to use an upcut jigsaw blade...dumb question time...does > an upcut blade have the teeth facing up? the home depot kid did not > know.should i use a finer teeth blade or coarse? > wish me luck, if i screw this up mammasan will be massively upset! > thanks cj >

snipped-for-privacy@charter.net says...

When cutting from the top use a reverse tooth blade. Cover the shoe of the jigsaw with tape to protect the top from scratching. The saw will try to jump away from the top .... press down firmly to keep it from hopping all over the place.
Practice on a mini cut-out inside your final cut-out.
Clearance between the back splash and the cutout ... depends on your saw.
For easiest cutting. Cut from the bottom before installing the top. Use a normal fine tooth jigsaw blade.
http://www.vermontamerican.com/products/productdetail.h tm?G7126&GRP8531
cut and paste the url into a web browser for an example of reverse tooth blade.