is venting your dryer to the house O.K in winter?

Page 9 of 9
Doug Warner wrote:

Yipes! Now I see why I scored zero on the following "one question" IQ test....
****************************
There is a mute who wants to buy a toothbrush. By imitating the action of brushing one's teeth, he successfully expresses himself to the shopkeeper and the purchase is done.
Now, if there is a blind man who wishes to buy a pair of sunglasses, how should he express himself to the shopkeeper? Think about it first before scrolling down for the answer...

He opens his mouth and says. "I would like to buy a pair of sunglasses."
*************************
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

is
heating
house?
While there are dozens of posted replies pro and con, the only way you will ever be able to know for sure is to do it. I pretty much guarantee that in one year you will never do it again.
Especially if YOU are the one who cleans the house. That lint gets EVERYWHERE, and you will spend far more in energy costs running the vacuum cleaner 10 times as much as you did before.
AMUN

It may produce too much water, smells from soap and/or softeners, dust, and uneven heat. Stick one of those diverters in, and if you don't like the effect it has, take it out again. It's not going to destroy anything in one day, except possibly the wallpaper in the laundry.

I stuck one of those diverters on my dryer, with strict instructions to the SO to KEEP THE ROOM DOOR OPEN! when in use.
Later that very day, she called me in a panic that the wallpaper was falling off the walls. She reluctantly admitted she had closed the door.
She called back an hour later, all happy again, because once she turned the thing off, the wallpaper got tacky enough to stick back on again...
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

I have an electric dryer and I've been doing this for about 18 years. Ever since I saw that little box for sale in the hardware store.
It has a louver that I move twice a year. The indoor outlet has a 4x4" piece of window screen that acts as a lint filter. It is set in a plastic frame that slides out for cleaning. I don't have to clean it often because most of the lint gets caught in the dryer's own lint fitler, which is about 3 or 4 times as big. The outdoor setting has no filter, just connects to whatever it was connected to before. You have to cut the pipe or hose that you're using now.
I set it to indoors the firs time I do my laundry after I've turned the furnace on, or even earlier since the furnace costs moneyh and this doesn't. I set it back the other way the first time I do the laundry and it seems too hot inside my house.
Even if you don't feel a breeze thought the laundry room door, there is something called dynamic equilibrium. It describes the way humidity (and everything else) is spread throughout the house the same way a drop of food coloring in a gallon of water will eventually color the whole gallon, even if the water is still.
I just saw them for sale at HD earlier this year, though not the same design as mine,
I'm sure there are several designs, though all of them more or less the same.

Actually, that's diffusion. Dynamic equilibrium is what keeps the water level in a pool constant when the goes-inta equals the goes-outa.
I've taken a piece of leftover rigid foam insulation and cut it to fit into the dryer vent. I leave it covering in the vent whenever I'm not using the dryer, loosely reattaching the connector hose from the dryer. I've left a note for all on the dryer to be sure to remove it whenever using the dryer. It is an extra step, but it keeps the draft out. One other thing I have to do during the winter - lint gets trapped in the flap outside so that it doesn't close completely. That allows a draft into the vent, thus into the house. I occasionally have to stick my hand through the vent and, with a toothpick, clean off the lint to allow me to shut the flap.

I did it for a few months. The humidity in the area was horrible. You would have to do it somewhere that the humidity did not matter or would be diffused quickly.
I had to change the pantyhose often.