Is there such a thing as a sandpaper pencil ?

I need something to clean up the edges of a stencil that was painted on wood. The design was on bare wood so I can't clean up the edges with the other color (because there is no other color.)

I was thinking maybe a dremel with some type of sandpaper bit but I think that would do more damage than good. Something like a semi fine tip point or even the side of an eraser head would work.

Anyone got any ideas?

If not maybe somebody should invent one.

Reply to
poison_1024

Emery board or fingernail file? If those are too wide, perhaps a set of needle files (miniature files, available at most hardware stores) might do the trick.

Reply to
Doug Miller

How about an ink eraser?

If you've got a lot to do, an ink eraser in an electric eraser (drafting tool)

cheers bob

Reply to
BobK207

how about an exacto knife

Reply to
marson

On bare wood, you have got a real problem. The paint will have soaked into the wood somewhat. About the only thing you can do in that case is match a paint to the color of the wood and try to cover the bleed. You will make things worse by trying to remove or sand away the errors.

Reply to
Mys Terry

What is the project? Sign? Table top? What kind of paint? I would be tempted to sand it down to clean wood and start over, but....try a rough eraser cut to a fine edge. Might, first, use an exacto blade to cut the paint film exactly along the edge you want. Also try cutting the paint with knive blade and ever so gently using a razor blade scraper to lift the unwanted paint.

Reply to
Norminn

Does your project lend itself to outlining the design? Could you use a fine artist brush? - I tend to not have enough patience/talent, but I have used a Sharpie for something similar. ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG

I purchased a "pen" at auto parts store (NAPA) that is used for cleaning chips in paint on vehicles before touch up. I think it is a bunch of fiber glass bristles. Maybe that would work. WW

Reply to
Warren Weber

Abe

painted on

edges with

but I

semi fine

you can probably get them at the box stores or

Kathy

Some ball point pens have erasers on top of them. They are the same size as pencil erasers.

mm

Go to a paper supply: Get an ink eraser, or a mylar eraser.

Reply to
Pop

I was thinking the same thing but I will bet it was at least 15 years since I saw anyone use one.

Reply to
George

I tried that but had no luck. It's acrylic hobby paint and basically I think it has set into the wood too much for erasing.

Reply to
poison_1024

I'll look for that. Thanks.

Reply to
poison_1024

Thanks to everyone who mentioned the auto-pencil, that looks very promising.

Reply to
poison_1024

Such thing exists. Go to an automotive paint store. They work great, although I'm not sure if they come in different grits.

Stormin

Reply to
Stormin

Mask the surrounding area and use a metal polish like Brasso. Brasso contains pumice, a mild abrasive.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

Would you happen to have a link to someone who sells that 3M sanding pencil. I've tried the few places that I could find but they all only sell by the case. I'm just looking for one. Thanks for your suggestion.

Reply to
poison_1024