Is there any way to play a MP3 player thru Auto CD Player

Page 4 of 5
On Wed, 28 Sep 2016 04:42:50 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband

I dont understand the need for a remote control either. I just hope if it comes with a remote, it dont lack the controls on the stereo itself like a lot of tvs do these days. If I misplace my tv remote, all I can do is turn it on and off from the set itself. Cant change volume or channels or anything else. Real annoying....
I have about 5gb of songs stored on my computer, and copied to another portable drive (backup). That is a lot of music. I have not heard all of them. So, a 4gb flash drive would work just fine. I have another 1gb of music I ripped from my own CDs as a backup, but they are not in MP3. But as soon as I get software to convert them, I can add those too. Either way, one 8 or 16gb flash drive will hold everything I own, and still have room to spare.
One of these days I might get a new Tracfone, but I am not looking forward to that day, when I will have to retype about 260 contacts from my contact list. Otherwise I may have replaced that phone already, since most of the numbers are worn off the keys and I've had to replace the battery twice now, and the battery costs as much as a new flip phone.
As far as getting more features, I dont need them, and probably dont even want to have to learn them. Just like computers, all they keep doing is making them harder to use, yet add nothing useful, which is why I stick with Windows XP, and have no intention to upgrade.
I missed the original posting....
Years ago when stores started advertsing player for CDs and MP3s, I got one and it never worked for me. Ended up using Nero to convert MP3 to audio format and burning on CDs. That's still the easiest way for me.
writes:

Should have found out why your MP3s didn't work. Recent tests are giving me about 170 tracks per CD in MP3 format, vs. about 12 in audio format.
That's a big difference.
--
Dan Espen

On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 14:34:36 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband

Mine takes a 16 for sure - have not tried anything bigger

Many don't use any knobs any more. Push a button for up or down volume - same for tuning.

Do you have links for any of these? I haven't seen anything (in the single DIN format) in the last 5 years or so that didn't use a knob for the volume control. Except maybe for some budget off brands.
Then again, I haven't really been looking very much.
On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 04:56:49 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

The bluetooth on the radio allows it to link with your phone. You can make phone calls using the radio speakers, mute the music automatically etc and most will allow you to play music from the phone through the radio speakers. With a smart phone that could also be Pandora or I heart radio.
On Monday, September 26, 2016 at 11:35:48 AM UTC-4, HerHusband wrote:
...snip...

That reminds me of the time I tried to replace the mono radio in my 1966 lay-down Rambler with an after-market stereo AM/FM/Cassette unit.
Imagine my surprise when I opened up the dashboard and found that AMC had used a radio with the face on the "bottom" and installed the radio "standing up". Let's call it a vertical radio instead of your standard horizontal radio.
http://i19.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/cf/a9/5a2f_35.JPG
In the image below you can see the radio with the round AC vents right above it. The AC ductwork ran up behind the radio and there was no room for a horizontal radio.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d6/1966_Ambassador_990_wagon_azid.jpg
AMC was notorious for following the advice of Clint Eastwood in Heartbreak Ridge: Improvise, Adapt and Overcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWCYv40Ur1g

I worked as a car stereo installer back in the late 80's or early 90's. I saw a lot of weird radio configurations, but that's one I never saw before. Very interesting!
On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 04:18:44 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband

There was some sort of car radio from wayyyyy back, that had the amplifier portion of the radio separate from the tuner. This was a tube set, and probably from the 50s or early 60s.
When I was in my teens, I belonged to a group of kids that liked electronics, and the old guy who ran the group was a Ham Oprerator and he had piles of old radios, tvs and other gear. I remember asking him about that unusual radio, but I dont recall what kind of car it was from.

I never saw a two part radio like that, but I did pull out a few tube tuners. Big heavy boat anchors. :)
Back then the "standard" radio opening had a hole on each side for the volume and tuner knobs and a smaller rectangular opening for the radio dial. Installing a modern stereo in those cars meant cutting sheet metal.
Today I think you can buy "retro" radios that will fit the old openings without cutting metal. New electronics in the old format.
Honestly, I haven't kept up with current car stereo's. The last stereo I bought was over 15 years ago. :)
On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 14:09:33 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband

The last car stereo I bought was probably more like 40 years ago. In fact back in the mid 70's I briefly worked for CB radio store and installed them in cars, but several times I had to install car stereos too. But they were like you describe, "a hole on each side for the volume and tuner knobs and a smaller rectangular opening for the radio dial." Besides a CB, I bought a car stereo from my boss at cost back then.
I've learned a lot from this thread and from following up by looking at this stuff in the stores and online. It's a whole different world when it comes to them now.....
Thank God the old days of cutting sheet metal are gone.... Of course dashboards are no longer made of metal anyhow.... And all that wire splicing and soldering was a major pain back then....
On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 14:09:33 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband

radio case, using a modified original type dial OR an LCD digital display. Several companies around doing the job. They put aux in on them and some even get USB.
On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 04:41:40 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

fit in the dash that had the dial and the controls - with a cable like a speedo cable connecting the head to the tuner in the remote box on the firewall.
On Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 12:18:58 AM UTC-4, HerHusband wrote:

I ended up mounting an under-dash Pioneer Super Tuner with a Y-cable for the antenna and a switch to transfer the speakers between the deck and the OEM Radio. The Pioneer did not have station presets or AM. My dad drove the Rambler sometimes and he preferred the simplicity of the OEM radio. In addition, AM was the only place to listen to sports back then so I used it also.
Are you old enough to remember these?
http://cdn.speednik.com/files/2016/08/2016-08-22_06-40-27.jpg
On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 04:18:44 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband

in a mid-fifties ford.
On Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 8:30:37 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

AMC used a lot weird stuff. I was never sure if they designed their vehicles around other manufacturer's parts or if they designed their vehicles first and then found parts to fit ;-)
If I recall correctly, there was more than one starter listed for my '66 Ambassador 990, each with a different bolt pattern.
My favorite: The vacuum booster pump cap for the fuel pump to keep the windshield wiper speed fairly constant while accelerating. My booster pump died so I just bypassed it. Getting on the expressway during a rainstorm was always an adventure. Thank God for Rain-X!
On 09/27/2016 07:32 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

For a while the family ride was a '62 Rambler Classic and that's what I did most of my learning to drive on. My father had fallen for George Romney's practical car pitch and that it had 15" wheels when the industry was going to 14's. Never cared much for Romney's after that trauma. I was happy when it was replaced by a '65 Dodge although I would have been a lot happier with a '65 Mustang.

Design adaptations were dictated by the available parts.
On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 18:32:10 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

I had a couple AMCs, a 72 Jeep when they owned the brand and a 71 Gremlin, I got as a gift (AKA broke down in my driveway and abandoned). The Gremlin had that 232ci 6 that fouled the #5 plug about every 2000 miles. You could just clean it and put it right back in. A new one fouled just about as fast. I got to the point where I could swap the plug at a long light. I kept a handful in the glove compartment. It was basically a POS car but I still put 50,000 miles on it and sold it for $500. I tossed the factory radio right away and put in a JIL AM/FM/8 track, CB. I do think they cobbled together a lot of off the shelf parts. The transmission was a Borg Warner, Ignition was Delco but the engines were AMC.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/gremlin2.jpg
On Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 10:06:10 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

This isn't mine, but it's the same car, same color:
http://www.automotivetimelines.com/cars/photos/a/AMC/1966%20AMC%20Rambler%20Ambassador%20990%20Factory%20Photo.jpg
My favorite feature was the "Lay Down Rambler" seats. Again, not my car.
https://walkingwithstefan.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/beloitt1.jpg?wT9&h08
Delbert McClinton B-Movie Boxcar Blues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVxorhmYADc

Next I caught a ride with a gambler's wife She had a brand new lay down Rambler She parked outside of town And laid the rambler down And said she sure could dig it if I rode her