Is There An Electrician in the House?

Page 6 of 8

Doug Miller wrote:

discussing it), there's no excuse for allowing it to escalate into an emergency.

installed.
Is there one in your house?
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

And in a perfect world, nobody would accidentally flip a breaker.

Be realistic -- who's going to "accidentally" flip the MAIN??
--
Regards,
On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 19:48:30 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

By the time you find out, it'll be too late to stop it.
I never understood why people assume the one thing (perfection) that's actually impossible.

Mark Lloyd

Like I said... be realistic. Learn to distinguish real hazards from imagined ones. Do what you can to prevent the real ones -- and ignore the ones that arise only from your imagination.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

discussing, I think we need to consider this a "real" hazard.

Sho'ly, sho'ly.
I switch the MAIN off, and pull the meter. Start the generator, and 30A jumps thru thin air, once in the breaker circuit, a second time in the meter socket. Runs out thru the power lines and kills some po' lineman.
It'd have to perform magic only once to close the external circuit with your safety switch ...
Any lineman could glance at the empty meter socket and KNOW for certain that "juice floweth not" from the house to the lines.
Face it. 30% of lineman injuries are due to simple carelessness. Near 70% are related to the insane conditions that ensue when the utility's grids fail massively for one reason or another.
"They Have Seen The Enemy And He Is Them!" to paraphrase Walt Kelly.
Puddin' (at home, always all by his lonesome)
Pease pudding hot, Pease pudding cold, Pease pudding in the pot Nine days old ...

You keep saying that. You keep telling us that you always pull the meter, and shut the main breaker off.
YOU may think you'll get it right, but you've already demonstrated, by not putting in the switch, that your judgment cannot be trusted. So don't expect anyone to agree with you.
--Goedjn

Cite one instance, please, in which a lineman has been killed by a backfed generator when the service disconnect was OFF.
(Not holding my breath waiting...)
Yes, I understand there is a potential for serious danger. No, I'm *not* advocating backfeeding service-entrance panels without a transfer switch. I'm just pointing out that it's not automatically going to kill a lineman.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

main breaker "off" (having been warned of the dangers) and then hooked up to the wrong side of it. Why, wondered he, was the generator so hard to start, and why didn't his lights come on?

the dullest person to figure out why it wasn't working.
--
Regards,

Clearly you have never worked a customer service desk.
On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 22:07:40 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Actually, they arose from other posters on this group first.

Mark Lloyd

OK, fine, they arose from _other_people's_ imaginations. Point remains that you apparently have not yet learned to distinguish between real and imaginary hazards.
--
Regards,
On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 01:39:43 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

This is a big enough place that a lot of things really do happen.
And, of course, a healthy imagination is a good thing. It helps you prevent real disasters.

Then there's that real big imaginary hazard that more than half of Americans claim to worry about....

Mark Lloyd
Doug Miller wrote:

Oh Please Doug. Explain the operation of a split buss panel! What is the relationship between the dryer breaker of a split buss panel and the main breaker? How does the service lateral to a detached garage and a previously existing or newly installed lighting circuit that originates in the house affect the reliability of the house's main breaker as an isolating switch? How does the existence of a long disused meter tap for off peak metering effect the likelihood of harm? How does the presence of off peak metering connection and the faulting of a heating element in the water heater effect outside wiremen safety? How much will you bet that your suicide cord will never fall into the wrong hands?
Why does the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) website contain several Fatality Assessment and Control Evaluation(FACE) reports on linemen killed by generator back feeds? Do you think each of those several generator users woke up one day and said I think I'd like to kill someone today. I want to rend the hearts of an unoffending widow and orphans with unavailing grief.
--
Tom Horne

Doug Miller wrote:

Both the furnace and well pump can be wired to safely except power from extension cords, in complete compliance with the National Electric Code, for less than fifty dollars. But you would rather put a similar amount of money into making a suicide cord. Smart. Real Smart.
--
Tom Horne

snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com says...

cord-and-plug connected.
The man that installed my new furnace/heat pump was well versed in code. And he set an outlet and plugged the furnace into it. The york unit came with a regular cord and 110v plug.
--
Steve Barker