Is my Lady Kenmore on drugs or what?

I have a Lady Kenmore gas cooking stove. I bought it at a garage sale. It seemed to work perfect when I first got it, but a few weeks later the ignitor for the top burners seemed to stop clicking on all 4 burners. I checked all the visible wires under the burners. (Now where the hell they hide the control box for this thing still amazes me).

OK, I could not get it to work, and was not willing to spend a fortune for repairing a stove that cost me $30. A 99 cent Bic lighter works just fine, as well as a sparker for a propane torch.

But here's the weird part. I swear this stove is on drugs or something. First off, the controls are backwards. Every stove I have ever used turns starts with a small flame and the further I turn to the left, the bigger the flame gets. Well, this stove starts out with a huge flame and the further I torn to the left the smaller it gets. OK, thats weird enough, but this is the ultimate in weirdness. When I turn on a burner, I DO NOT hear that click click click. I use my lighter and light the stove. As soon as there is flame on the burner, it starts going click click click........ WTF ??????????

Can anyone make any sense of this goofy stove? Hopefully there is an appliance repair person online.....

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

The knobs on most gas cooking stoves I've used start with "lite" and then progress from high flame (setting of 6 for instance) down to the lowest (i.e. 1). In other words, you have to dial through the highest settings to get to the lowest. The gas stove we own now operates this way.

You might want to see if you can find the product manual on-line from Sears. You didn't indicate what the model # is.

May be a reason why the stove was being sold at a garage sale for $30.....

Reply to
BrianNOSPAM22

That's the gimmick at garage sales these days. They sell you the stove, but keep back the control box. When you're hooked on the stove, and have given away your old stove, he disables you.

Not the right attitude. Used things are often worth far more than one pays for them. Is the stove itself worth repairing?

Of course if you can do it without a service call, that's a good idea even if the stove cost 1000 dollars.

I've seen that. But if it bothers you, face backwards. It will seem the other way.

I think it's learning to talk.

He's right. I think Sears is good about having manuals online, but if not, go to Sears and read the owners manual from one of their current stoves. It might have a lot of similarities. (although sometimes Sears gets products made by more than one maker. There should be similarities if yours and the one at the store are made by the same maker.) (Chrysler for example had 3 different companies making the factory radios.)

Reply to
mm

Reply to
maradcliff