Is burning copper dangerous

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/howtos/a/aa052703a.htm
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
for more info, try asking this in sci.chem

The warning label from my copper" Rainbow Flame Crystals" "Warning containg Copper Sulfate Avoid contact with eyes or skin , if swallowed give milk or water and contact Physician. For eyes flush with water get medical attention. Avoid inhalation of fumes and prolonged exposure" Id be pissed. Id say he was justified, enjoying his vacation , You ruined it.
Burning many products will harm you, CCA treated wood can permanantly poison you with heavy metal. Copper is a poison, Copper sulfate is dangerous in powder and likely burnt, as metals will not burn up completely at low campfire temps, mearly they are airborn. You are an ass hole camper, camping is to be fun and enjoy the outdoors, not having people pollute through noise, abuse or pollution. Whether or not your product afected him he was inteligent to be worried. So he was happy and drunk and a nice guy, and you ruined his vacation. I hope you are proud you moron. You are lucky he wasnt a murderer, he would have had a defence.
maybe it's time to get back on the meds?

My container says nothing about the inhalation, just ingestion. It is over 6 years old though.
m Ransley wrote
[...]
==================== I agree. We are only hearing one side of the story and it may be that there were 2 drunks involved in the incident.
Anybody downwind or nearby has the right to inquire when he observes some moron dumping "chemicals" on a bondfire. I use the word "moron" because the original poster is asking about the safety of his act AFTER he has done it. Then he rants about the other camper.
Copper chloride is one of the most commonly used chemicals for producing vivid blue colors in pyrotechnics. This is generally regarded as safe, although it should be pointed out that quantities are often very small and/or the comps are ignited far from spectators and often high in the air. Dangers associated with breathing non-trivial amounts of copper compounds include metal fume fever, nasal ulcers, and respiratory irritation.
The important point is not the dangers of the copper salts on the fire, but the attitude of the original poster who feels that he can perform the act without thinking, and then throw down the gauntlet when somebody questions his actions.
I am also rather troubled that he threw what he 'assumed' was copper in the fire. In a fire without a chimney so that others downwind would breath it. Previous posts have demonstrated, copper does not burn in colors. Copper compounds do. But the OP apparently does not know what he was throwing on the fire. He is only concerned after the fact and somehow assumes it was copper - that would not burn that way. I find such actions of naivety to be very troubling - potentially dangerous.
Gideon wrote:

Well, if you take a piece of copper pipe and grind it on your grinder, it's PURE copper (aside from any abrasive wheel dust that gets in). What I tossed in the fire was exactly this, except not from copper pipe, on a grinder, but from copper banding dust from a power hacksaw. I am not asking "after the fact". I have been stuffing this copper dust into a pill bottle for years. and always take some with me to campouts. I get it at work and it is waste. It makes nice looking flames both at camp, and at home in my fireplace.
Just for the record, you can buy fake logs, which are pretty much nothing more than sawdust combined with parafin wax, and a little copper dust to create colorful flames. These are sold at stores all over the country, such as Walmart.

Yes, you are "asking after the fact." You asked "after the fact" if what you did was safe. Re-read your original post. Your very first sentence is: Is burning copper dangerous?
Duh, that sounds like "asking after the fact" to me.
Your example of fake logs is worthless unless you know how much copper is contained in a fake log compared to how much copper you tossed on the campfire. Plus, how much copper are you breathing in your family room when the fireplace has a proper draft and a well-designed chimney, versus how much copper is somebody downwind breathing while you are tossing copper on the campfire?
You screwed up. You acted in ignorance. You were impolite when challenged about your behavior. You are extremely lucky that you didn't get punched out.
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote in message ... Well, if you take a piece of copper pipe and grind it on your grinder, it's PURE copper (aside from any abrasive wheel dust that gets in). What I tossed in the fire was exactly this, except not from copper pipe, on a grinder, but from copper banding dust from a power hacksaw. I am not asking "after the fact". I have been stuffing this copper dust into a pill bottle for years. and always take some with me to campouts. I get it at work and it is waste. It makes nice looking flames both at camp, and at home in my fireplace.
Just for the record, you can buy fake logs, which are pretty much nothing more than sawdust combined with parafin wax, and a little copper dust to create colorful flames. These are sold at stores all over the country, such as Walmart.

can you say anal retentive?

You bring up an interesting point...
Ever been to a fireworks show? Often you can smell the gunpower (and the other chemicals that are used in their manufacture when they explode).
These are some nasty chemicals and include chromium, strontium, copper!, barium, magnesium and many, many, others. It is the oxidation of these substances that produce the beautiful colors that delight the audience.
No one wants to ban commercial fireworks shows for polluting the air with cancer inducing chemicals. It's a part of our tradition... Just don't breath the air too much...
Beachcomber

Good point, given the small amount the OP burned, It is likely no more harmful than burning a toy sparkler from the 4th of July and far less polluting that a full sized show.
As drunks go, they often overly emphasize even the littlest points and cannot accept differing points of view. Sounds like his drunken tirade was the real vacation bummer, I'm sure a "Excuse me would you mind not burning that stuff, I"m concerned...." would have worked a lot better for both parties. I hope he left because he was embarassed at his behaviour not at the fear of copper toxicity.
On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 14:32:49 GMT, not snipped-for-privacy@xxx.yyy (Beachcomber) wrote:

But that is all there is too breathe.
I thought about breathing a lot before I got there, then holding my breath until I got home.
It works with food and water.
But I don't think it works with air.

We need someone to invent a large lung that can store a few hours of air. The only broblem would be where to install it. I guess it would work on women, just two huge air filled breasts, but men have no spare places.
On 18-Oct-2005, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

For many - between the ears.
On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 02:06:44 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

I did not read all the many post so I hope I'm not repeating something already said.
Many, many years ago when I was a kid, all there was, was copper screens on windows. My dad always gave me the job of brushing the screens off before putting them up for the summer. I did not like the job because it was work however I liked it even less after I got old enough to start smoking.
What would happen was the copper oxide would come off as a fine powder and I would inhale it. Yuck, there is nothing worse than trying to smoke a cigerete after inhaling copper oxide dust. It destroys the tast for 2-3 days. Don't smoke now and don't have copper screens.
My guess is, that your drunken neighbor was a smoker that knew this and you just ruined his smoking evening.
John