Is a Whole house fan an asset?

Page 2 of 2

ceiling fans don't cool a place. They make it feel cooler by aiding your own evaporative cooling (persperation).
A whole fan will cool a place extremely well if, and only if, it is cooler outside.
On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 22:02:39 -0000, AZ Nomad

I call the fans an asset! My grandparents had a whole house fan.
They are great for evacuating burnt biscuit smoke also :)
Oren --
Oren wrote:

I'd call a whole house fan an asset also. We had one in the house I spent grades 8-12 in and it worked great during evenings when it was cool outside. It drew cool air from downstairs (outside) and blew like a hurricane out through the attic. The air temp would drop dramatically and it was cheaper to operate than the air conditioning. We used ours primarily in the spring and fall. Summers were too hot and winters too cold.
I'd love to have one where I live now.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote in message

S. Barker wrote:

It's not my house.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote in message

It's also not an afternoon project to put in a whole house system. S Barker might be thinking it was just a ceiling fan being discussed.
BTW, if it's a ceiling fan you'd like, ask the owners? Most will be happy as long as it's properly installed. You'd have to pay to have it installed professionally *or* if they trust you but it doesnt go right, to have it removed then profesionally installed correctly. Not messing with your head on that, but homeowners who rent are a little careful about tenants working on the place.
Having one installed, is normally less than 100$
cshenk wrote:

My landlord trusts me and the work I do. I've been living in his house for over 20 years now and the place is in better shape than the day I moved in.... mostly due to the fact that I keep it up. I burned up a ceiling fan in the living room and replaced it with a Hunter Classic. The rudimentary microwave over the stove burned up and I replaced it with a very nice GE Spacesaver several generations newer than the original. I put in the screen/storm doors. I generally don't bother to ask permission, I just do it. The understanding is that any improvements I make stay with the house when I move. In the meanwhile, I have the pleasure of using the upgraded features. And in return, the landlord hasn't raised the rent in over 15 years.
I don't plan on moving any time soon, either. I like where I live, although the neighborhood has slipped some since I first arrived. But that's another story.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Then S Barker, you are very wrong if you think other than a cieling fan can be instalkled in an afternoon. The type under discussion requires multiple vents and attic openings be added.
It's not a ceiling fan
Attics are generally vented enough to allow a 30" fan to operate.

cshenk wrote:

Not if your attic is already adequately vented.

I did mine in about two hours. Simple job, really, and the venting was adequate.
then don't worry about it.
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote in message

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 20:21:57 -0500, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote:

Also, *great for evacuating* mid summer heat.
Whole house fans Rock!
Oren --

Yes. Even when it's hot/humid enough that I will be running the air conditioning, when I come home on a hot day, I'll run the whole house fan to blow out the buildup of heat in the attic, then close the windows and put on the air conditioning.
Banty
Also great for evacuating mid winter heat when you have the wood stove too hot. Been there, done that many times.

Ain't it a booger? You're cold. You build a fire. Now, you're hot. Open the doors and windows. Done it many times in my cabin. It does work good, though, doesn't it?
Steve

If they rock, it indicates they are out of balance.
Bumpy wrote:

Why not simply ask several real estate agents? They could give you better answers that are relevant to where you live (which you didn't reveal).