Internal Revenue Scam OT)

Page 1 of 2
My wife and I have received two recorded message type phone calls in the past two days from someone claiming to be from IRS and that I was being investigated unless I called them. The phone number to call was given as 1-352-281-6660 in both cases.
That same number showed up on caller ID as the number of the calling party. If it is so easy to get these phone numbers, why doesn't some federal agency track these shysters down and prosecute them?????
On 9/13/16 8:38 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Maybe it's the sheer volume of them. I've gotten some new ones the last couple days. The woman wishes me luck if I don't call her number soon.
On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 20:51:45 -0500, Dean Hoffman

Yep. Our police have asked people to stop reporting these calls. .. some dumb idiots have actually fallen for this obvious scam ! .. they have gone out and bought " phone cards " and called back to the scammers - with the phone-card code-numbers - thinking that the Canada Revenue / IRS actually works this way .. geeeze. Really ? ! John T.
On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 8:38:09 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Beatrice Bell SE 10 Ave Gainesville Florida    352-281-6660
On 9/13/2016 9:31 PM, bob_villa wrote:

Maybe or maybe not. Let's also consider that these goofs can spoof caller ID numbers and thus confuse idiots who go on the internet, Google search a number and then post it to these lists which can cause harm to innocent people.
I ran the number through a teleco database that is updated intraday and came up with totally different subscriber information
Just saying!
On 09/14/2016 01:38 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Small world, I got a similar call.
With the right equipment, caller id can be faked. If you're worried about it, call the IRS number listed on the irs.gov website.

I got 2 IRS scam calls yesterday within one hour. Maybe 6-7 in the past 3 weeks.
On 9/13/2016 9:38 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Without caller ID to identify the caller as someone you know or deal with, nobody can answer the phone anymore. Our feckless government is fully aware of this and does squat.
On 9/14/2016 6:46 AM, Frank wrote:

Our laws apply within our borders, but the phone scammers are overseas. Even so, the feds have managed to shut a few of these down. Problem is, it's an endless game of whack-a-mole. Scammer A hires a bunch of people to work the phones, and while doing so, they learn how the scam works. Even if their employer gets shut down, some of them just get into the business themselves and the scam continues - except where it began with one boiler room operation, now there's multiple ones. The "Rachel from Card Services" scam is a known example of that, and the IRS scam is probably doing the same. Once a con artist comes up with a new idea, a bunch more jump on the bandwagon.
This has been a problem for decades, so everyone should know by now that you don't _have_ to answer a call, especially when we have the ability to screen calls and take messages. That's the power each of us has for handling these. If you haven't figured that out by now, the problem isn't just getting unwanted calls, it's your inability to figure out how to ignore them.
On 9/14/2016 8:09 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

I know most are overseas. If I get a live one, I've been telling them lately that I'm sorry but I don't speak to colored people. Sorta hope I make them mad enough to quit or demand more money.
I'm no computer expert but think there are things we could do. Telephone companies could note millions of calls and cut them off. The "microsoft" scammers could take over a computer that infects them with a fatal virus instead of the other way around.
Per Frank:

My gut reaction is that, somehow, the phone companies benefit from those calls. For sure, the cell phone carriers do because they are burning minutes for those on minute-limited plans. For land line carriers, I would think that those calls serve a marketing purpose: selling people like me on paying extra for CallerID/Simultaneous ring.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 9/14/2016 10:27 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

That's the way I feel about it. Last I heard the Feds were telling the telephone companies to help otherwise they would step in. Does not make any sense since Feds should have been working with them.

Consider the numb-nuts in charge and that should explain why the Feds are a no-show.
Per Moe DeLoughan:

It isn't the content of the calls for me... *any* caller has about .7 seconds to show some response and then I hang up... "Hello, this is Pete Cresswell.... HelloHello.... CLICK!".
But the sheer number of rings is a problem - even letting them to go answering machine is a problem when you start getting a half-dozen to a dozen a day.
I've had plain old basic phone service since Day-1 and, cheap as I am, I am about *that* far away from either putting out the big bucks for CallerID/Simultaneous ring or putting my incoming calls on the VOIP service I use for outgoing.
The first option would give me access to apps that crowd-source junk call identification.
The second one would let me implement Challenge/Response: "Hello, this is the Cresswell's answering machine. "Press 1 for Joe, Press 2 for Sue..." and so-forth - along with a GoldList of known callers that do not get the prompt. The downsides of the second are uncertainty about how 911 calls would work and family members who do not like change.
--
Pete Cresswell

this is a job the NSA should handle
at least we would get some benefit for all the money they get

We should let Whitey Bulger out on the condition he solve the problem
On 9/14/16 10:25 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Put your incoming calls on VOIP (phone over the internet).
Then, sign up for "nomorobo.com". (assuming your ISP/VOIP service will handle it)
I had my doubts about it. But for non-commerical use (homeowner), it works, and quite well.
Phone rings once, then callerID displays call number. Nothing more.
Per John Albert:

That's what I was thinking about if/when I go over to CallerID/Simultaneous ring.
Had not considered that Simultaneous Ring might be available via my VOIP provider.... Gotta look into that.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 9/14/2016 10:25 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I, too, have an old land line used for business with fax machine. Connection is FIOS as they are getting rid of copper here but not billed or serviced as VoIP. I could not get an old answering machine to work with it and the fax so will pick it up if I am nearby. 99% of all calls are telemarketers or scammers. Even most of the faxes are spam.
I think, particularly when I got it many years ago, that it is under my name as Sr. which I got as a business phone at homeowner price as additional phone. Seniors are targeted by spammers as many are more susceptible to fraud.
It's totally disgusting what has happened to our phones. One guy even said he would vote for president anyone that said they would clean up this mess.
Per Frank:

I'm probably closer to that guy that I would care to admit.
And the cynic in me says that if those robocallers that the Pennsylvania State DA claims cannot be prosecuted were to threaten political figures above a certain level, said robocallers would be behind bars within 24 hours.
--
Pete Cresswell